Been having trouble getting my Big Block above 190 or so lately. I decided to do a little maintenance so I went to the music store and purchased a brush that is used to clean out the tubes on a trumpet. It has bristles on each end and is a coated cable maybe 12" long or so. Really worked well to clean the tube leading to the burner. I then looked at the orfice and it looked like it might be plugged. I unscrewed the end and there was in fact a cobweb on the inside of the orfice. Cleaned that out and put it all back together and wowzers! I can actually hear the burner on high burning. Only problem is that I broke the wire going to my push button ignition. Do you suppose those are generic or will I need to go to Landmann? They have them for $13 plus what ever the shipping might be. I'm sure it would be cheaper locally, but don't know if another would fit or not...
GOSM Low Temps
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
Yesterday I did 3 racks of spares and 3 racks of baby backs and believe I could have easily gotten my temps up to well over 350* if I wanted to. Cleaning out that dang little tiny web in the orfice really made a difference in the performance of my smoker. If you have problems with low temps, be sure to check out the orfice.
it snapped off right at the base where it goes in and I am unable to get the broken part out. Landmann will sell me a replacement for $9.00 but it is only the push button portion without the wire part. The original must be one unit where replacements are adapted so you can insert a wire into it.
Well, I ended up just replacing the cylindar piece on my existing wire similiar to what is shown below. It wasn't exactly the correct size to fit onto the bottom of the ignitor, so don't know if it will stay on long or not... I had to expand it out a bit to get it to slide over the tip sticking out the bottom of the ignitor pushbutton. Wish one could just buy the wire and ends attached without all the other accessories! Anyhow, thanks to SQWIB for unknowingly heading me in the right direction and I only paid 20 cents instead of $13 plus dollars to fix my problem.