or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where to buy?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I am just getting into smoking and so far have only been doing wood smoking.  I normally go to Bev Mo and get the 40 lb. bags of mesquite lump charcoal.  Thats really all I know of.  Does anyone know where to get good wood to use for smoking?  I've read all the articles about what types of wood are good for what and all that from the Smoking-Meat website under "Smokeology".  Not sure if the hardware stores around here carry that type of wood for smoking.  

post #2 of 13

Welcome to the SMF family, neighbor!  That makes at least 2 of us Dubliners hanging around here!

 

Try the Rancher hardwood charcoal at OSH here in Dublin.  Burns nice and hot, good smoke production, and no additives that I can discover.  I love running it in my smoker and was even thinking about ordering a pallet of it this spring if the price break was right.

 

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

Nice, to meat you Adiochiro3.  And thanks for the tip, I guess you can't get much better than to narrow it down to the exact store near my house haha.  Much appreciated.

post #4 of 13

welcome1.gif

post #5 of 13

 

Welcome to SMF. There are a lot of very friendly & knowledgeable folks here to help you. I urge you to sign up for the free E-course. It will give you the basics, & even if you are an experienced smoker you may learn something new. Then start asking questions. Good luck & glad to have you aboard. Don't forget we all love Qview!   

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 

Cool I signed up yesterday for the Ecourse.  I got the first one, can't wait for the rest.  I'm not experienced really but there is always room for knowledge no matter what.  I have some smoked ribs that turned out amazing a few weeks ago.  I just have to get them off my brothers camera.

post #7 of 13

If you have any orchards around your area, you can always ask if you can buy some of their trimmings.

 

Or you could get an "A-MAZE-N-SMOKER", and make life a whole lot easier.

 

Bear

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks Bearcarver, I just youtubed that product.  I might have to invest into one of those.  I haven't cold smoked anything yet but I can't wait to try.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWmVcyWYXnI this is a great video of how it works for anyone else that doesn't already know.

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWallace View Post

Thanks Bearcarver, I just youtubed that product.  I might have to invest into one of those.  I haven't cold smoked anything yet but I can't wait to try.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWmVcyWYXnI this is a great video of how it works for anyone else that doesn't already know.


Yup---That's a good video of it.

 

I've been using mine for over a year now, cold, warm, and hot, and I couldn't enjoy smoking without it!

 

 

Bear

 

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 

I guess I dont have the best understanding of smoking.  How would you use it in a hot smoking environment?  same way? Would that not make the food too smokey if your already using wood?  I got a lot to learn haha.

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWallace View Post

I guess I dont have the best understanding of smoking.  How would you use it in a hot smoking environment?  same way? Would that not make the food too smokey if your already using wood?  I got a lot to learn haha.


That's an excellent question. I would imagine if you are using wood to heat & smoke, you wouldn't need it for hot smoking, but you would still want to use it for cold smoking.

 

Anyone who isn't using wood for heating, can use it for cold, warm, and hot smoking.

 

My fault---I forgot what you were using.

 

Bear

 

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 

No worries i'm just trying to get a better understanding of smoking in general.  That helped a lot, thanks. 

 

And nice bears by the way..

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWallace View Post

Nice, to meat you Adiochiro3.  And thanks for the tip, I guess you can't get much better than to narrow it down to the exact store near my house haha.  Much appreciated.

No prob!  Give me a shout if you need any help with this craft; I've been doing it a long time.

 

James
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Wood Smokers