I've stuffed and smoked a lot of button mushrooms over the years, but never a portobello. I decided to do a test run before smoking a few for some vegetarian friends next week. I followed a recipe I found online:
4 portobello mushroom caps
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 ounces fresh spinach leaves
1 cup ricotta cheese or 7 ounces low-fat cream cheese
1/8 cup fresh parmesan, grated
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 chili powder (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1 egg, beaten (omit if using cream cheese)
8 tablespoons bread crumbs (can use non-gluten bread crumbs), seasoned with salt and pepper
1/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
1. Preheat smoker.
2. Using a paring knife, remove stems from all mushroom caps. Wipe down mushrooms with a wet cloth to remove all dirt. Do not wash or rinse mushrooms. Set aside.
3. In a medium skillet, heat oil and sauté garlic until fragrant. Add spinach and cook until shrunk down. Remove from heat.
4. In a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese or cream cheese and parmesan. Season to taste with garlic salt, dried basil, chilli powder, black pepper and salt. Mix well.
5. If using ricotta, mix in egg.
6. Add spinach to cheese mixture. Mound mixture into mushroom cap. Top with 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs per mushroom, followed by mozzarella cheese.
7. Smoke at 225* for 1.5 hours.
Turned out mighty tasty! Had a few ABT's and a head of garlic with the top sliced off and topped with EVOO, salt and pepper. Quite the appetizer feast!
I find I have to pre-cook the ABT bacon to get it where we like it on the finished product -- speaking of which...
Everything was tasty! The garlic could have cooked another hour to soften it up more, but it took on a nice smoky flavor and was good (if strong) on the crackers.
Thanks for checking the Q-view!!! Cheers!