Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 9
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies10/28/15 at 1:55pm by driedstick 21 1,031started by aiannarelli (3/6/10 at 1:16pm)3/7/10 at 3:13am by desertlites 3 1,028started by bjustice22 (10/21/13 at 3:03pm)10/27/13 at 2:44pm by bjustice22 5 1,025started by dribron (5/16/10 at 3:48pm)5/23/10 at 8:38pm by dribron 6 1,02311/8/13 at 4:38pm by SmokinMad 23 1,023started by Guvna (8/10/08 at 11:24pm)8/11/08 at 12:15am by Smok'n Steve 3 1,016started by kesmc27 (3/8/14 at 6:52am)3/20/14 at 4:26pm by kesmc27 11 1,010started by cmayna (2/18/14 at 7:36am)2/21/14 at 4:59pm by Woodcutter 14 1,002started by OklahomaJoe (2/17/10 at 8:00am)10/4/10 at 10:44pm by Scarbelly 8 1,000started by SmokinMad (9/27/13 at 6:40pm)11/9/13 at 7:10pm by ERNurse28 12 1,000started by flyweed (12/18/10 at 10:16am)12/18/10 at 12:00pm by bmudd14474 2 1,000started by ctraugh13 (11/20/14 at 5:36pm)11/29/14 at 2:56pm by jerkyguy 4 999started by jsk53 (3/17/14 at 10:25am)3/18/14 at 2:48pm by jsk53 6 998started by Ga Pine Needle (12/19/09 at 3:19pm)12/21/09 at 6:37pm by Ga Pine Needle 17 997started by ryanhoelzer (1/29/10 at 11:02pm)1/30/10 at 3:02pm by ryanhoelzer 5 995started by smokinadam (12/15/16 at 8:26am)12/19/16 at 6:31pm by smokinadam 14 995started by gkainz (10/17/06 at 11:03am)10/18/06 at 2:05pm by Longshot 1 993started by garyinmd (11/28/11 at 4:42pm)11/30/11 at 3:04pm by garyinmd 6 992started by sontavas (12/10/14 at 9:44am)12/11/14 at 1:54pm by CrazyMoon 4 992started by jvanhees (11/30/14 at 3:20pm)12/7/14 at 10:32am by smoked alaskan 6 986started by KMK357 (2/14/13 at 9:49pm)2/15/13 at 4:42pm by DaveOmak 3 986started by john3198 (6/7/10 at 4:41pm)6/9/10 at 1:32am by richoso1 3 986started by Newburydave (2/21/16 at 3:29pm)2/28/16 at 7:33pm by Chef JimmyJ 19 985started by Iron City (7/16/12 at 11:18am)7/20/12 at 11:21am by CAM-B-Q 4 985started by DukeBurger (8/22/15 at 10:56pm)8/25/15 at 5:00pm by DukeBurger 6 984started by SmokeTrax (3/22/12 at 3:47pm)3/26/12 at 4:20am by dougmays 5 983started by forluvofsmoke (10/7/09 at 5:34pm)10/9/09 at 10:11pm by forluvofsmoke 15 982Newb question - I want to confirm that cured vacuum packed Jerky can be stored without refrigerationstarted by gatorengineer64 (3/22/14 at 9:30am)4/11/14 at 8:06am by Chef Willie 13 977started by action (6/11/09 at 10:45pm)6/14/09 at 11:29pm by action 15 976started by delarosa74868 (3/16/12 at 5:46pm)12/8/13 at 7:23am by Bill19114 13 975started by envirocad (12/4/14 at 2:42pm)12/4/14 at 5:54pm by envirocad 2 973started by PattyQ (1/4/15 at 8:36pm)1/16/15 at 12:58am by Wobblehd 13 970started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:23pm)1/7/15 at 7:55am by RASelkirk 11 968started by Sigmo (8/21/13 at 1:35am)8/24/13 at 2:13am by Sigmo 16 967started by Mnola917 (2/26/09 at 1:10pm)3/30/09 at 12:16pm by phreak 10 966started by kennethb (8/15/10 at 12:01pm)8/16/10 at 9:28am by Scarbelly 6 965started by VinylHanger (1/25/10 at 5:15am)1/29/10 at 12:07pm by tlzimmerman 10 959started by PIMPZILLA (7/5/12 at 11:39am)7/14/12 at 7:57am by dougmays 15 956started by nepas (11/9/11 at 7:42am)11/29/11 at 10:14am by Frosty 19 953started by forluvofsmoke (12/6/09 at 12:21am)12/7/09 at 10:47pm by forluvofsmoke 5 953started by scubadoo97 (6/13/09 at 9:25pm)6/14/09 at 3:37pm by scubadoo97 10 953started by ffighter559 (10/2/12 at 4:16pm)10/21/12 at 8:34am by nepas 8 948started by ShooterRick (10/30/10 at 4:57pm)11/6/10 at 6:03am by ShooterRick 15 947started by jerky nut (1/2/14 at 3:08pm)1/15/14 at 6:36am by Falco78 11 9473/31/15 at 8:31am by darby1 33 946started by msp2 (1/10/13 at 12:07pm)2/21/13 at 4:37pm by MountainHawg 7 938started by Thedad45373 (10/30/15 at 2:21pm)11/10/15 at 6:37pm by Thedad45373 4 936started by isucyclone (4/21/15 at 7:40am)4/24/15 at 9:59pm by DukeBurger 8 935started by meat~smoker in n.j. (3/25/07 at 10:57am)3/28/07 at 12:28am by DeejayDebi 9 932started by UncleTykie (4/28/09 at 1:08pm)5/19/09 at 9:04pm by Slanted88 6 927
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › First Ribs, beans and potato salad of the season 3 minutes ago
- › Curing Salmon before smoking 4 minutes ago
- › Hocks 4 minutes ago
- › Smoked Atlantic Boneless, Skinless Salmon 6 minutes ago
- › Baby Backs for dinner 7 minutes ago
- › Cold smoking 11 minutes ago
- › New - Oklahoma Joe's Highland Smoker 14 minutes ago
- › Sunday Brisket! 14 minutes ago
- › sous vide immersion circulator ? 19 minutes ago
- › First attempt at competition style thighs 19 minutes ago
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices