Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 9
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Repliesstarted by newfie bullet (12/22/14 at 7:18pm)12/29/14 at 6:23pm by MossyMO 14 1,0751/15/08 at 9:31pm by Smok'n Steve 22 1,075started by CrazyMoon (10/9/14 at 2:17pm)12/4/14 at 5:46am by CrazyMoon 5 1,075started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:23pm)1/7/15 at 7:55am by RASelkirk 11 1,073started by Bluto (11/21/12 at 7:23am)11/28/12 at 12:52pm by DoctorVapor 17 1,067started by LilHoldem-NB (8/10/07 at 9:23pm)8/14/07 at 4:48pm by LilHoldem-NB 7 1,062started by isucyclone (4/21/15 at 7:40am)4/24/15 at 9:59pm by DukeBurger 8 1,061started by Guvna (8/10/08 at 11:24pm)8/11/08 at 12:15am by Smok'n Steve 3 1,061started by KickingWing (7/14/15 at 9:59am)7/17/15 at 4:35am by DaveOmak 14 1,059started by nepas (11/9/11 at 7:42am)11/29/11 at 10:14am by Frosty 19 1,055started by captmoby (12/18/10 at 8:29am)12/21/10 at 8:30am by Pineywoods 8 1,05411/8/13 at 4:38pm by SmokinMad 23 1,0547/15/11 at 11:48am by Cooking Momma 29 1,053started by bjustice22 (10/21/13 at 3:03pm)10/27/13 at 2:44pm by bjustice22 5 1,050started by Newburydave (2/21/16 at 3:29pm)2/28/16 at 7:33pm by Chef JimmyJ 19 1,04510/28/15 at 1:55pm by driedstick 21 1,041started by Potsieko (2/6/17 at 11:34am)2/8/17 at 3:32pm by MyOwnIdaho 16 1,035started by KMK357 (2/14/13 at 9:49pm)2/15/13 at 4:42pm by DaveOmak 3 1,034started by salmonclubber (10/7/07 at 7:44pm)11/2/07 at 8:20pm by DeejayDebi 12 1,033started by aiannarelli (3/6/10 at 1:16pm)3/7/10 at 3:13am by desertlites 3 1,031started by garyinmd (11/28/11 at 4:42pm)11/30/11 at 3:04pm by garyinmd 6 1,031started by dribron (5/16/10 at 3:48pm)5/23/10 at 8:38pm by dribron 6 1,030started by kesmc27 (3/8/14 at 6:52am)3/20/14 at 4:26pm by kesmc27 11 1,021started by cmayna (2/18/14 at 7:36am)2/21/14 at 4:59pm by Woodcutter 14 1,019started by jsk53 (3/17/14 at 10:25am)3/18/14 at 2:48pm by jsk53 6 1,019started by OklahomaJoe (2/17/10 at 8:00am)10/4/10 at 10:44pm by Scarbelly 8 1,017started by sontavas (12/10/14 at 9:44am)12/11/14 at 1:54pm by CrazyMoon 4 1,016started by ryanhoelzer (1/29/10 at 11:02pm)1/30/10 at 3:02pm by ryanhoelzer 5 1,015started by smokinadam (12/15/16 at 8:26am)12/19/16 at 6:31pm by smokinadam 14 1,015started by nepas (8/8/16 at 3:33am)12/29/16 at 7:47am by Ironhorse07 11 1,014started by jvanhees (11/30/14 at 3:20pm)12/7/14 at 10:32am by smoked alaskan 6 1,011started by flyweed (12/18/10 at 10:16am)12/18/10 at 12:00pm by bmudd14474 2 1,006started by Ga Pine Needle (12/19/09 at 3:19pm)12/21/09 at 6:37pm by Ga Pine Needle 17 1,003started by ctraugh13 (11/20/14 at 5:36pm)11/29/14 at 2:56pm by jerkyguy 4 1,003started by gkainz (10/17/06 at 11:03am)10/18/06 at 2:05pm by Longshot 1 1,002started by Sigmo (8/21/13 at 1:35am)8/24/13 at 2:13am by Sigmo 16 999started by envirocad (12/4/14 at 2:42pm)12/4/14 at 5:54pm by envirocad 2 998started by MossyMO (10/24/15 at 12:02pm)10/26/15 at 7:15pm by ND16Bulldog 9 998started by forluvofsmoke (10/7/09 at 5:34pm)10/9/09 at 10:11pm by forluvofsmoke 15 996started by forluvofsmoke (12/6/09 at 12:21am)12/7/09 at 10:47pm by forluvofsmoke 5 996started by DukeBurger (8/22/15 at 10:56pm)8/25/15 at 5:00pm by DukeBurger 6 994started by Iron City (7/16/12 at 11:18am)7/20/12 at 11:21am by CAM-B-Q 4 992started by delarosa74868 (3/16/12 at 5:46pm)12/8/13 at 7:23am by Bill19114 13 989started by SmokeTrax (3/22/12 at 3:47pm)3/26/12 at 4:20am by dougmays 5 989started by john3198 (6/7/10 at 4:41pm)6/9/10 at 1:32am by richoso1 3 988started by jerky nut (1/2/14 at 3:08pm)1/15/14 at 6:36am by Falco78 11 984started by kennethb (8/15/10 at 12:01pm)8/16/10 at 9:28am by Scarbelly 6 981started by PattyQ (1/4/15 at 8:36pm)1/16/15 at 12:58am by Wobblehd 13 976started by action (6/11/09 at 10:45pm)6/14/09 at 11:29pm by action 15 976started by Thedad45373 (10/30/15 at 2:21pm)11/10/15 at 6:37pm by Thedad45373 4 975
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › question about venison hindquarters 1 minute ago
- › Trail Embers smoker 6 minutes ago
- › Tri tip questions 17 minutes ago
- › ThermoPro needle probe 18 minutes ago
- › Yup More Smoked Pickled Quail Eggs 21 minutes ago
- › QUESTIONS for you MES30/40 users 22 minutes ago
- › Meat for the week? 24 minutes ago
- › New UMAi Casings 30 minutes ago
- › UMAI Bag Sizes 30 minutes ago
- › 7th Annual South Florida Gathering 2017 (Nov 17-19) 32 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods