Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 9
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies4/2/17 at 6:28am by SmokinAl 28 1,063started by LilHoldem-NB (8/10/07 at 9:23pm)8/14/07 at 4:48pm by LilHoldem-NB 7 1,059started by KickingWing (7/14/15 at 9:59am)7/17/15 at 4:35am by DaveOmak 14 1,058started by captmoby (12/18/10 at 8:29am)12/21/10 at 8:30am by Pineywoods 8 1,0517/15/11 at 11:48am by Cooking Momma 29 1,050Newb question - I want to confirm that cured vacuum packed Jerky can be stored without refrigerationstarted by gatorengineer64 (3/22/14 at 9:30am)4/11/14 at 8:06am by Chef Willie 13 1,04911/8/13 at 4:38pm by SmokinMad 23 1,046started by bjustice22 (10/21/13 at 3:03pm)10/27/13 at 2:44pm by bjustice22 5 1,04010/28/15 at 1:55pm by driedstick 21 1,038started by Guvna (8/10/08 at 11:24pm)8/11/08 at 12:15am by Smok'n Steve 3 1,035started by salmonclubber (10/7/07 at 7:44pm)11/2/07 at 8:20pm by DeejayDebi 12 1,033started by aiannarelli (3/6/10 at 1:16pm)3/7/10 at 3:13am by desertlites 3 1,028started by dribron (5/16/10 at 3:48pm)5/23/10 at 8:38pm by dribron 6 1,028started by Newburydave (2/21/16 at 3:29pm)2/28/16 at 7:33pm by Chef JimmyJ 19 1,024started by dirtsailor2003 (6/4/16 at 8:01pm)1/17/17 at 7:27am by whistech 19 1,022started by kesmc27 (3/8/14 at 6:52am)3/20/14 at 4:26pm by kesmc27 11 1,019started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:23pm)1/7/15 at 7:55am by RASelkirk 11 1,018started by nepas (11/9/11 at 7:42am)11/29/11 at 10:14am by Frosty 19 1,017started by OklahomaJoe (2/17/10 at 8:00am)10/4/10 at 10:44pm by Scarbelly 8 1,016started by KMK357 (2/14/13 at 9:49pm)2/15/13 at 4:42pm by DaveOmak 3 1,014started by garyinmd (11/28/11 at 4:42pm)11/30/11 at 3:04pm by garyinmd 6 1,013started by jsk53 (3/17/14 at 10:25am)3/18/14 at 2:48pm by jsk53 6 1,012started by cmayna (2/18/14 at 7:36am)2/21/14 at 4:59pm by Woodcutter 14 1,011started by sontavas (12/10/14 at 9:44am)12/11/14 at 1:54pm by CrazyMoon 4 1,008started by ryanhoelzer (1/29/10 at 11:02pm)1/30/10 at 3:02pm by ryanhoelzer 5 1,006started by smokinadam (12/15/16 at 8:26am)12/19/16 at 6:31pm by smokinadam 14 1,004started by flyweed (12/18/10 at 10:16am)12/18/10 at 12:00pm by bmudd14474 2 1,004started by ctraugh13 (11/20/14 at 5:36pm)11/29/14 at 2:56pm by jerkyguy 4 1,002started by Ga Pine Needle (12/19/09 at 3:19pm)12/21/09 at 6:37pm by Ga Pine Needle 17 1,001started by jvanhees (11/30/14 at 3:20pm)12/7/14 at 10:32am by smoked alaskan 6 1,001started by gkainz (10/17/06 at 11:03am)10/18/06 at 2:05pm by Longshot 1 998started by DukeBurger (8/22/15 at 10:56pm)8/25/15 at 5:00pm by DukeBurger 6 993started by envirocad (12/4/14 at 2:42pm)12/4/14 at 5:54pm by envirocad 2 992started by forluvofsmoke (10/7/09 at 5:34pm)10/9/09 at 10:11pm by forluvofsmoke 15 990started by Iron City (7/16/12 at 11:18am)7/20/12 at 11:21am by CAM-B-Q 4 989started by bigbuck (12/14/16 at 6:13am)12/15/16 at 8:14am by dirtsailor2003 4 988started by isucyclone (4/21/15 at 7:40am)4/24/15 at 9:59pm by DukeBurger 8 987started by delarosa74868 (3/16/12 at 5:46pm)12/8/13 at 7:23am by Bill19114 13 986started by john3198 (6/7/10 at 4:41pm)6/9/10 at 1:32am by richoso1 3 986started by Sigmo (8/21/13 at 1:35am)8/24/13 at 2:13am by Sigmo 16 985started by SmokeTrax (3/22/12 at 3:47pm)3/26/12 at 4:20am by dougmays 5 985started by action (6/11/09 at 10:45pm)6/14/09 at 11:29pm by action 15 976started by kennethb (8/15/10 at 12:01pm)8/16/10 at 9:28am by Scarbelly 6 974started by PattyQ (1/4/15 at 8:36pm)1/16/15 at 12:58am by Wobblehd 13 972started by forluvofsmoke (12/6/09 at 12:21am)12/7/09 at 10:47pm by forluvofsmoke 5 972started by PIMPZILLA (7/5/12 at 11:39am)7/14/12 at 7:57am by dougmays 15 969started by Mnola917 (2/26/09 at 1:10pm)3/30/09 at 12:16pm by phreak 10 966started by VinylHanger (1/25/10 at 5:15am)1/29/10 at 12:07pm by tlzimmerman 10 965started by jerky nut (1/2/14 at 3:08pm)1/15/14 at 6:36am by Falco78 11 964started by ffighter559 (10/2/12 at 4:16pm)10/21/12 at 8:34am by nepas 8 960
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Bunch Of Smoked Birds 1 minute ago
- › 5x8 AMNPS does not fit beside the element my MES30 2 minutes ago
- › Intake issues with Oklahoma Joe's Highland 3 minutes ago
- › Please help. 7 minutes ago
- › Finished the direct heat cook 9 minutes ago
- › PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works! 12 minutes ago
- › Hog dimensions. 13 minutes ago
- › Can't get smoke at 225 degrees 14 minutes ago
- › Boneless beef short ribs 15 minutes ago
- › Beef for Shish Kabobs 15 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by ronaldjallen1
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Outdoor Leisure 34168G Smoke Hollow Propane-Gas Smoker by raider2119
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Jeff Houser
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Smokingmax
- › Weber Summit S-670 by Grillin Joey
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ