Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 4/28/11
Making Jerky - Page 9
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Repliesstarted by aiannarelli (3/6/10 at 1:16pm)3/7/10 at 3:13am by desertlites 3 1,028started by pelletuser (12/10/15 at 7:25am)1/7/16 at 6:33am by westby 14 1,02511/8/13 at 4:38pm by SmokinMad 23 1,019started by dribron (5/16/10 at 3:48pm)5/23/10 at 8:38pm by dribron 6 1,017started by Guvna (8/10/08 at 11:24pm)8/11/08 at 12:15am by Smok'n Steve 3 1,008started by kesmc27 (3/8/14 at 6:52am)3/20/14 at 4:26pm by kesmc27 11 1,008started by bjustice22 (10/21/13 at 3:03pm)10/27/13 at 2:44pm by bjustice22 5 1,007started by flyweed (12/18/10 at 10:16am)12/18/10 at 12:00pm by bmudd14474 2 999started by cmayna (2/18/14 at 7:36am)2/21/14 at 4:59pm by Woodcutter 14 997started by ctraugh13 (11/20/14 at 5:36pm)11/29/14 at 2:56pm by jerkyguy 4 996started by smokinadam (12/15/16 at 8:26am)12/19/16 at 6:31pm by smokinadam 14 995started by ryanhoelzer (1/29/10 at 11:02pm)1/30/10 at 3:02pm by ryanhoelzer 5 995started by jsk53 (3/17/14 at 10:25am)3/18/14 at 2:48pm by jsk53 6 993started by Ga Pine Needle (12/19/09 at 3:19pm)12/21/09 at 6:37pm by Ga Pine Needle 17 991started by OklahomaJoe (2/17/10 at 8:00am)10/4/10 at 10:44pm by Scarbelly 8 988started by gkainz (10/17/06 at 11:03am)10/18/06 at 2:05pm by Longshot 1 988started by john3198 (6/7/10 at 4:41pm)6/9/10 at 1:32am by richoso1 3 986started by Iron City (7/16/12 at 11:18am)7/20/12 at 11:21am by CAM-B-Q 4 984started by sontavas (12/10/14 at 9:44am)12/11/14 at 1:54pm by CrazyMoon 4 982started by jvanhees (11/30/14 at 3:20pm)12/7/14 at 10:32am by smoked alaskan 6 981started by garyinmd (11/28/11 at 4:42pm)11/30/11 at 3:04pm by garyinmd 6 980started by SmokeTrax (3/22/12 at 3:47pm)3/26/12 at 4:20am by dougmays 5 977started by forluvofsmoke (10/7/09 at 5:34pm)10/9/09 at 10:11pm by forluvofsmoke 15 977started by DukeBurger (8/22/15 at 10:56pm)8/25/15 at 5:00pm by DukeBurger 6 977started by action (6/11/09 at 10:45pm)6/14/09 at 11:29pm by action 15 976started by delarosa74868 (3/16/12 at 5:46pm)12/8/13 at 7:23am by Bill19114 13 972started by Newburydave (2/21/16 at 3:29pm)2/28/16 at 7:33pm by Chef JimmyJ 19 971started by KMK357 (2/14/13 at 9:49pm)2/15/13 at 4:42pm by DaveOmak 3 969started by PattyQ (1/4/15 at 8:36pm)1/16/15 at 12:58am by Wobblehd 13 968started by Mnola917 (2/26/09 at 1:10pm)3/30/09 at 12:16pm by phreak 10 966Newb question - I want to confirm that cured vacuum packed Jerky can be stored without refrigerationstarted by gatorengineer64 (3/22/14 at 9:30am)4/11/14 at 8:06am by Chef Willie 13 957started by SmokinMad (9/27/13 at 6:40pm)11/9/13 at 7:10pm by ERNurse28 12 957started by kennethb (8/15/10 at 12:01pm)8/16/10 at 9:28am by Scarbelly 6 955started by envirocad (12/4/14 at 2:42pm)12/4/14 at 5:54pm by envirocad 2 954started by Sigmo (8/21/13 at 1:35am)8/24/13 at 2:13am by Sigmo 16 954started by VinylHanger (1/25/10 at 5:15am)1/29/10 at 12:07pm by tlzimmerman 10 954started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:23pm)1/7/15 at 7:55am by RASelkirk 11 953started by scubadoo97 (6/13/09 at 9:25pm)6/14/09 at 3:37pm by scubadoo97 10 953started by ShooterRick (10/30/10 at 4:57pm)11/6/10 at 6:03am by ShooterRick 15 9473/31/15 at 8:31am by darby1 33 945started by PIMPZILLA (7/5/12 at 11:39am)7/14/12 at 7:57am by dougmays 15 944started by ffighter559 (10/2/12 at 4:16pm)10/21/12 at 8:34am by nepas 8 942started by jerky nut (1/2/14 at 3:08pm)1/15/14 at 6:36am by Falco78 11 939started by forluvofsmoke (12/6/09 at 12:21am)12/7/09 at 10:47pm by forluvofsmoke 5 936started by msp2 (1/10/13 at 12:07pm)2/21/13 at 4:37pm by MountainHawg 7 934started by UncleTykie (4/28/09 at 1:08pm)5/19/09 at 9:04pm by Slanted88 6 927started by meat~smoker in n.j. (3/25/07 at 10:57am)3/28/07 at 12:28am by DeejayDebi 9 926started by Thedad45373 (10/30/15 at 2:21pm)11/10/15 at 6:37pm by Thedad45373 4 926started by DukeBurger (5/8/10 at 4:24pm)5/11/10 at 3:59pm by DukeBurger 10 926started by paulwink (7/17/08 at 3:45pm)7/27/08 at 8:33pm by dodgeramsst2003 12 923
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Smoking at low temp on WSM 1 minute ago
- › Scored this today for 80 bucks!!! 10 minutes ago
- › First brisket help 13 minutes ago
- › Anybody ever smoke a whole bone in ribeye as prime rib? 23 minutes ago
- › New smoker from Taunton 24 minutes ago
- › Roll Call 29 minutes ago
- › Rib Steaks in The Snow 32 minutes ago
- › Slow Cooked Wings 35 minutes ago
- › Juicy Chuck Roast...after Microwaving 37 minutes ago
- › Fillet Mignon Sammies 38 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub