Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 9
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies11/8/13 at 4:38pm by SmokinMad 23 1,036started by bjustice22 (10/21/13 at 3:03pm)10/27/13 at 2:44pm by bjustice22 5 1,033started by salmonclubber (10/7/07 at 7:44pm)11/2/07 at 8:20pm by DeejayDebi 12 1,033started by SmokinMad (9/27/13 at 6:40pm)11/9/13 at 7:10pm by ERNurse28 12 1,031started by aiannarelli (3/6/10 at 1:16pm)3/7/10 at 3:13am by desertlites 3 1,028started by dribron (5/16/10 at 3:48pm)5/23/10 at 8:38pm by dribron 6 1,027started by Guvna (8/10/08 at 11:24pm)8/11/08 at 12:15am by Smok'n Steve 3 1,0204/19/17 at 8:08pm by TripleQ 49 1,020started by kesmc27 (3/8/14 at 6:52am)3/20/14 at 4:26pm by kesmc27 11 1,011started by jsk53 (3/17/14 at 10:25am)3/18/14 at 2:48pm by jsk53 6 1,006started by cmayna (2/18/14 at 7:36am)2/21/14 at 4:59pm by Woodcutter 14 1,004started by OklahomaJoe (2/17/10 at 8:00am)10/4/10 at 10:44pm by Scarbelly 8 1,003Newb question - I want to confirm that cured vacuum packed Jerky can be stored without refrigerationstarted by gatorengineer64 (3/22/14 at 9:30am)4/11/14 at 8:06am by Chef Willie 13 1,001started by Newburydave (2/21/16 at 3:29pm)2/28/16 at 7:33pm by Chef JimmyJ 19 1,000started by flyweed (12/18/10 at 10:16am)12/18/10 at 12:00pm by bmudd14474 2 1,000started by KMK357 (2/14/13 at 9:49pm)2/15/13 at 4:42pm by DaveOmak 3 999started by ctraugh13 (11/20/14 at 5:36pm)11/29/14 at 2:56pm by jerkyguy 4 999started by Ga Pine Needle (12/19/09 at 3:19pm)12/21/09 at 6:37pm by Ga Pine Needle 17 998started by garyinmd (11/28/11 at 4:42pm)11/30/11 at 3:04pm by garyinmd 6 997started by sontavas (12/10/14 at 9:44am)12/11/14 at 1:54pm by CrazyMoon 4 997started by smokinadam (12/15/16 at 8:26am)12/19/16 at 6:31pm by smokinadam 14 996started by ryanhoelzer (1/29/10 at 11:02pm)1/30/10 at 3:02pm by ryanhoelzer 5 995started by gkainz (10/17/06 at 11:03am)10/18/06 at 2:05pm by Longshot 1 994started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:23pm)1/7/15 at 7:55am by RASelkirk 11 993started by jvanhees (11/30/14 at 3:20pm)12/7/14 at 10:32am by smoked alaskan 6 992started by DaveOmak (12/24/16 at 3:45pm)3/8/17 at 12:17pm by worktogthr 16 991started by DukeBurger (8/22/15 at 10:56pm)8/25/15 at 5:00pm by DukeBurger 6 988started by john3198 (6/7/10 at 4:41pm)6/9/10 at 1:32am by richoso1 3 986started by forluvofsmoke (10/7/09 at 5:34pm)10/9/09 at 10:11pm by forluvofsmoke 15 986started by Iron City (7/16/12 at 11:18am)7/20/12 at 11:21am by CAM-B-Q 4 985started by envirocad (12/4/14 at 2:42pm)12/4/14 at 5:54pm by envirocad 2 983started by SmokeTrax (3/22/12 at 3:47pm)3/26/12 at 4:20am by dougmays 5 983started by Sigmo (8/21/13 at 1:35am)8/24/13 at 2:13am by Sigmo 16 981started by nepas (11/9/11 at 7:42am)11/29/11 at 10:14am by Frosty 19 981started by delarosa74868 (3/16/12 at 5:46pm)12/8/13 at 7:23am by Bill19114 13 978started by action (6/11/09 at 10:45pm)6/14/09 at 11:29pm by action 15 976started by PattyQ (1/4/15 at 8:36pm)1/16/15 at 12:58am by Wobblehd 13 972started by kennethb (8/15/10 at 12:01pm)8/16/10 at 9:28am by Scarbelly 6 9713/6/17 at 11:24am by Chef JimmyJ 21 968started by Mnola917 (2/26/09 at 1:10pm)3/30/09 at 12:16pm by phreak 10 966started by forluvofsmoke (12/6/09 at 12:21am)12/7/09 at 10:47pm by forluvofsmoke 5 966started by VinylHanger (1/25/10 at 5:15am)1/29/10 at 12:07pm by tlzimmerman 10 964started by isucyclone (4/21/15 at 7:40am)4/24/15 at 9:59pm by DukeBurger 8 960started by PIMPZILLA (7/5/12 at 11:39am)7/14/12 at 7:57am by dougmays 15 959started by jerky nut (1/2/14 at 3:08pm)1/15/14 at 6:36am by Falco78 11 9584/2/17 at 6:28am by SmokinAl 28 955started by scubadoo97 (6/13/09 at 9:25pm)6/14/09 at 3:37pm by scubadoo97 10 954started by ffighter559 (10/2/12 at 4:16pm)10/21/12 at 8:34am by nepas 8 951started by ShooterRick (10/30/10 at 4:57pm)11/6/10 at 6:03am by ShooterRick 15 9483/31/15 at 8:31am by darby1 33 947
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Mushroom 'n Swiss Brisket Melts 1 minute ago
- › New SS Mix 2 minutes ago
- › Beef shoulder clod. 3 minutes ago
- › Mom turns 72 tomorrow, wants brisket and ribs, time to be a good son! 3 minutes ago
- › Another Ribs thread! 6 minutes ago
- › IT'S TIIIIIIMMME!!!!!!! FINALLY BUILDING MY REVERSE FLOW!! 8 minutes ago
- › Steak Revolution on Netflix 9 minutes ago
- › New from Tulsa Oklahoma 11 minutes ago
- › Greetings from Manitoba, Canada 13 minutes ago
- › New to the group From North East Texas 14 minutes ago
- › Helotes Salado Smoker by ShutterlyExpose
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer