Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 9
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Bladebuilder (1/10/15 at 9:52pm)1/12/15 at 2:35pm by PattyQ 4 430started by Bodine (1/11/15 at 4:02pm)1/12/15 at 2:22pm by PattyQ 4 725started by Bill Ace 350 (1/8/15 at 7:44am)1/10/15 at 10:26am by Bill Ace 350 13 762started by Haywire Haywood (1/7/15 at 2:22pm)1/9/15 at 5:48pm by Haywire Haywood 6 746started by Jeff Sedlmayr (1/8/15 at 12:30pm)1/8/15 at 2:26pm by CrazyMoon 5 302started by Smoke_Chef (7/28/14 at 6:50am)1/7/15 at 9:18am by PattyQ 14 2,515started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:23pm)1/7/15 at 7:55am by RASelkirk 11 968started by Adam D (1/4/15 at 11:44am)1/6/15 at 1:59pm by CrazyMoon 2 7621/4/15 at 8:40pm by bertman 25 1,155started by patvj2 (12/19/14 at 4:26pm)1/4/15 at 11:39am by Adam D 4 1,081started by gunkle (1/1/15 at 7:14pm)1/2/15 at 7:35am by themule69 1 300started by freakynorm (12/30/14 at 11:06am)12/31/14 at 11:16am by themule69 5 374started by newfie bullet (12/22/14 at 7:18pm)12/29/14 at 6:23pm by MossyMO 14 1,064started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:30pm)12/29/14 at 8:04am by dirtsailor2003 1 325started by Helmrod (12/27/14 at 6:42pm)12/28/14 at 4:03am by CrazyMoon 1 149started by ronabramson (12/23/14 at 11:17am)12/24/14 at 11:59am by CrazyMoon 6 731started by gwallace (12/23/14 at 2:24pm)12/23/14 at 2:39pm by boykjo 1 269started by Marcus Killion (12/21/14 at 7:50am)12/23/14 at 3:15am by CrazyMoon 8 547started by CrazyMoon (12/21/14 at 7:08am)12/22/14 at 2:33am by CrazyMoon 9 557started by masonman1345 (12/18/14 at 6:13am)12/21/14 at 7:13pm by smoked alaskan 3 743started by bigant0826 (12/19/14 at 7:45am)12/21/14 at 4:02am by CrazyMoon 3 451started by smoked alaskan (12/14/14 at 3:32pm)12/15/14 at 5:02pm by smoked alaskan 3 445started by tgrimmett (11/13/14 at 6:36pm)12/14/14 at 6:17pm by Possum Belly 15 2,24912/12/14 at 2:01pm by daRicksta 21 1,370started by Aro2220 (12/12/14 at 10:42am)12/12/14 at 11:02am by Chef Willie 1 257started by sontavas (12/10/14 at 9:44am)12/11/14 at 1:54pm by CrazyMoon 4 993started by djom1cincy (11/28/14 at 2:21pm)12/8/14 at 1:31pm by djom1cincy 9 643started by Bigfoot21075 (11/17/14 at 11:33am)12/7/14 at 11:05am by smoked alaskan 8 1,427started by jvanhees (11/30/14 at 3:20pm)12/7/14 at 10:32am by smoked alaskan 6 986started by smoked alaskan (12/4/14 at 5:17pm)12/6/14 at 12:48pm by smoked alaskan 12 435started by envirocad (12/4/14 at 2:42pm)12/4/14 at 5:54pm by envirocad 2 974started by Matt R (12/4/14 at 7:58am)12/4/14 at 1:54pm by forluvofsmoke 1 416started by CrazyMoon (10/9/14 at 2:17pm)12/4/14 at 5:46am by CrazyMoon 5 1,057started by Wobblehd (11/29/14 at 1:28am)12/1/14 at 3:07pm by Wobblehd 4 1,204started by BigRoub (11/5/14 at 8:18pm)11/30/14 at 1:34pm by jerkyguy 4 791started by jerkyguy (11/24/14 at 1:47pm)11/29/14 at 3:20pm by Mike W 9 689started by ctraugh13 (11/20/14 at 5:36pm)11/29/14 at 2:56pm by jerkyguy 4 999started by Skeletoil (11/28/14 at 9:20pm)11/29/14 at 7:40am by themule69 1 170started by justinjames0909 (11/23/14 at 7:25am)11/29/14 at 1:05am by Mike W 11 432started by Bubbabobob (11/23/14 at 8:54pm)11/28/14 at 10:08pm by justinjames0909 2 388started by Matt R (10/24/14 at 7:36pm)11/27/14 at 3:16pm by jerkyguy 10 1,349started by rugercpl (9/15/14 at 8:02am)11/24/14 at 9:00am by BigTrain74 6 419started by Centuryonly (11/22/14 at 8:38am)11/24/14 at 5:45am by Centuryonly 8 483started by westby (11/22/14 at 3:25pm)11/23/14 at 7:35am by themule69 7 88411/13/14 at 4:37pm by jerky nut 21 1,443started by smoked alaskan (10/21/14 at 6:35pm)11/11/14 at 10:09am by HuntNFish 8 695started by JP61 (11/9/14 at 12:41pm)11/10/14 at 11:08am by JP61 4 680started by djom1cincy (10/26/14 at 8:40am)11/6/14 at 1:57pm by CrazyMoon 3 671started by mneeley490 (10/17/14 at 12:31pm)10/27/14 at 12:48pm by mneeley490 18 4,409started by Awaqa909 (10/25/14 at 10:35am)10/25/14 at 3:43pm by smoked alaskan 1 316
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Hot and fast brisket cook 2 minutes ago
- › Step away from the pit! BBQ Shrimp, Cajun Style 2 minutes ago
- › Jeff's sauce 6 minutes ago
- › Wanted... Traeger COM200 9 minutes ago
- › Lang fire box paint chipping! 14 minutes ago
- › buying wood chips 27 minutes ago
- › Streaky bacon on the Smokin-It#3 33 minutes ago
- › My 1st rack of pork 41 minutes ago
- › New Model 5 From Smokin-it 48 minutes ago
- › Good morning from Colorado 52 minutes ago
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by tbdomenz
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › "Uncured" hot dogs, bacons
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients