Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 9
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by jrm6012 (1/19/15 at 5:37pm)1/20/15 at 6:26am by themule69 1 241started by Mark Williams (1/16/15 at 9:24am)1/19/15 at 6:32pm by TheChefSLC 3 368started by PattyQ (1/4/15 at 8:36pm)1/16/15 at 12:58am by Wobblehd 13 972started by DebW (1/14/15 at 3:22pm)1/14/15 at 5:59pm by DebW 2 678started by Adam D (1/14/15 at 10:49am)1/14/15 at 12:31pm by timberjet 4 324started by Adam D (1/12/15 at 9:21pm)1/13/15 at 9:32pm by Adam D 6 911started by Bladebuilder (1/10/15 at 9:52pm)1/12/15 at 2:35pm by PattyQ 4 436started by Bodine (1/11/15 at 4:02pm)1/12/15 at 2:22pm by PattyQ 4 729started by Bill Ace 350 (1/8/15 at 7:44am)1/10/15 at 10:26am by Bill Ace 350 13 763started by Haywire Haywood (1/7/15 at 2:22pm)1/9/15 at 5:48pm by Haywire Haywood 6 746started by Jeff Sedlmayr (1/8/15 at 12:30pm)1/8/15 at 2:26pm by CrazyMoon 5 302started by Smoke_Chef (7/28/14 at 6:50am)1/7/15 at 9:18am by PattyQ 14 2,516started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:23pm)1/7/15 at 7:55am by RASelkirk 11 991started by Adam D (1/4/15 at 11:44am)1/6/15 at 1:59pm by CrazyMoon 2 7631/4/15 at 8:40pm by bertman 25 1,164started by patvj2 (12/19/14 at 4:26pm)1/4/15 at 11:39am by Adam D 4 1,095started by gunkle (1/1/15 at 7:14pm)1/2/15 at 7:35am by themule69 1 303started by freakynorm (12/30/14 at 11:06am)12/31/14 at 11:16am by themule69 5 378started by newfie bullet (12/22/14 at 7:18pm)12/29/14 at 6:23pm by MossyMO 14 1,065started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:30pm)12/29/14 at 8:04am by dirtsailor2003 1 331started by Helmrod (12/27/14 at 6:42pm)12/28/14 at 4:03am by CrazyMoon 1 150started by ronabramson (12/23/14 at 11:17am)12/24/14 at 11:59am by CrazyMoon 6 731started by gwallace (12/23/14 at 2:24pm)12/23/14 at 2:39pm by boykjo 1 269started by Marcus Killion (12/21/14 at 7:50am)12/23/14 at 3:15am by CrazyMoon 8 548started by CrazyMoon (12/21/14 at 7:08am)12/22/14 at 2:33am by CrazyMoon 9 559started by masonman1345 (12/18/14 at 6:13am)12/21/14 at 7:13pm by smoked alaskan 3 743started by bigant0826 (12/19/14 at 7:45am)12/21/14 at 4:02am by CrazyMoon 3 451started by smoked alaskan (12/14/14 at 3:32pm)12/15/14 at 5:02pm by smoked alaskan 3 445started by tgrimmett (11/13/14 at 6:36pm)12/14/14 at 6:17pm by Possum Belly 15 2,25112/12/14 at 2:01pm by daRicksta 21 1,372started by Aro2220 (12/12/14 at 10:42am)12/12/14 at 11:02am by Chef Willie 1 257started by sontavas (12/10/14 at 9:44am)12/11/14 at 1:54pm by CrazyMoon 4 997started by djom1cincy (11/28/14 at 2:21pm)12/8/14 at 1:31pm by djom1cincy 9 643started by Bigfoot21075 (11/17/14 at 11:33am)12/7/14 at 11:05am by smoked alaskan 8 1,427started by jvanhees (11/30/14 at 3:20pm)12/7/14 at 10:32am by smoked alaskan 6 992started by smoked alaskan (12/4/14 at 5:17pm)12/6/14 at 12:48pm by smoked alaskan 12 438started by envirocad (12/4/14 at 2:42pm)12/4/14 at 5:54pm by envirocad 2 982started by Matt R (12/4/14 at 7:58am)12/4/14 at 1:54pm by forluvofsmoke 1 425started by CrazyMoon (10/9/14 at 2:17pm)12/4/14 at 5:46am by CrazyMoon 5 1,061started by Wobblehd (11/29/14 at 1:28am)12/1/14 at 3:07pm by Wobblehd 4 1,224started by BigRoub (11/5/14 at 8:18pm)11/30/14 at 1:34pm by jerkyguy 4 804started by jerkyguy (11/24/14 at 1:47pm)11/29/14 at 3:20pm by Mike W 9 700started by ctraugh13 (11/20/14 at 5:36pm)11/29/14 at 2:56pm by jerkyguy 4 999started by Skeletoil (11/28/14 at 9:20pm)11/29/14 at 7:40am by themule69 1 172started by justinjames0909 (11/23/14 at 7:25am)11/29/14 at 1:05am by Mike W 11 432started by Bubbabobob (11/23/14 at 8:54pm)11/28/14 at 10:08pm by justinjames0909 2 389started by Matt R (10/24/14 at 7:36pm)11/27/14 at 3:16pm by jerkyguy 10 1,352started by rugercpl (9/15/14 at 8:02am)11/24/14 at 9:00am by BigTrain74 6 422started by Centuryonly (11/22/14 at 8:38am)11/24/14 at 5:45am by Centuryonly 8 485started by westby (11/22/14 at 3:25pm)11/23/14 at 7:35am by themule69 7 886
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › New to smoking, every single thing about it! 58 seconds ago
- › Favorite Beer 4 minutes ago
- › Two Birds, Two different Rubs, Smokin Side By Side With The Tastes... 4 minutes ago
- › 18lbs of pork butt for tomorrow!! 5 minutes ago
- › First spatchcocked chicken 5 minutes ago
- › Greetings from NJ 5 minutes ago
- › First brisket (overnight) 21 minutes ago
- › Round eye 29 minutes ago
- › Under the sea - seafood tower(2) 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › New guy from texas 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Helotes Salado Smoker by ShutterlyExpose
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer