Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 4/28/11
Making Jerky - Page 9
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by CrazyMoon (12/21/14 at 7:08am)12/22/14 at 2:33am by CrazyMoon 9 554started by masonman1345 (12/18/14 at 6:13am)12/21/14 at 7:13pm by smoked alaskan 3 743started by bigant0826 (12/19/14 at 7:45am)12/21/14 at 4:02am by CrazyMoon 3 450started by smoked alaskan (12/14/14 at 3:32pm)12/15/14 at 5:02pm by smoked alaskan 3 441started by tgrimmett (11/13/14 at 6:36pm)12/14/14 at 6:17pm by Possum Belly 15 2,23612/12/14 at 2:01pm by daRicksta 21 1,369started by Aro2220 (12/12/14 at 10:42am)12/12/14 at 11:02am by Chef Willie 1 254started by sontavas (12/10/14 at 9:44am)12/11/14 at 1:54pm by CrazyMoon 4 982started by djom1cincy (11/28/14 at 2:21pm)12/8/14 at 1:31pm by djom1cincy 9 643started by Bigfoot21075 (11/17/14 at 11:33am)12/7/14 at 11:05am by smoked alaskan 8 1,423started by jvanhees (11/30/14 at 3:20pm)12/7/14 at 10:32am by smoked alaskan 6 981started by smoked alaskan (12/4/14 at 5:17pm)12/6/14 at 12:48pm by smoked alaskan 12 435started by envirocad (12/4/14 at 2:42pm)12/4/14 at 5:54pm by envirocad 2 954started by Matt R (12/4/14 at 7:58am)12/4/14 at 1:54pm by forluvofsmoke 1 408started by CrazyMoon (10/9/14 at 2:17pm)12/4/14 at 5:46am by CrazyMoon 5 1,054started by Wobblehd (11/29/14 at 1:28am)12/1/14 at 3:07pm by Wobblehd 4 1,194started by BigRoub (11/5/14 at 8:18pm)11/30/14 at 1:34pm by jerkyguy 4 762started by jerkyguy (11/24/14 at 1:47pm)11/29/14 at 3:20pm by Mike W 9 675started by ctraugh13 (11/20/14 at 5:36pm)11/29/14 at 2:56pm by jerkyguy 4 996started by Skeletoil (11/28/14 at 9:20pm)11/29/14 at 7:40am by themule69 1 170started by justinjames0909 (11/23/14 at 7:25am)11/29/14 at 1:05am by Mike W 11 432started by Bubbabobob (11/23/14 at 8:54pm)11/28/14 at 10:08pm by justinjames0909 2 388started by Matt R (10/24/14 at 7:36pm)11/27/14 at 3:16pm by jerkyguy 10 1,344started by rugercpl (9/15/14 at 8:02am)11/24/14 at 9:00am by BigTrain74 6 417started by Centuryonly (11/22/14 at 8:38am)11/24/14 at 5:45am by Centuryonly 8 479started by westby (11/22/14 at 3:25pm)11/23/14 at 7:35am by themule69 7 88311/13/14 at 4:37pm by jerky nut 21 1,408started by smoked alaskan (10/21/14 at 6:35pm)11/11/14 at 10:09am by HuntNFish 8 694started by JP61 (11/9/14 at 12:41pm)11/10/14 at 11:08am by JP61 4 675started by djom1cincy (10/26/14 at 8:40am)11/6/14 at 1:57pm by CrazyMoon 3 665started by mneeley490 (10/17/14 at 12:31pm)10/27/14 at 12:48pm by mneeley490 18 4,303started by Awaqa909 (10/25/14 at 10:35am)10/25/14 at 3:43pm by smoked alaskan 1 314started by Matt R (10/24/14 at 8:39am)10/24/14 at 8:39am by Matt R 0 342started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/19/14 at 12:36pm)10/22/14 at 2:56pm by Bearcarver 1 302started by kinkothecarp (9/30/14 at 6:55pm)10/22/14 at 3:48am by Mike W 6 1,479started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/18/14 at 2:44pm)10/19/14 at 12:48pm by TimsTallTaleTav 6 662started by DukeBurger (10/4/14 at 9:04am)10/9/14 at 1:56pm by CrazyMoon 9 1,233started by TheNevadanStig (10/8/14 at 2:07pm)10/8/14 at 4:26pm by TheNevadanStig 12 655started by TimsTallTaleTav (10/5/14 at 5:41am)10/6/14 at 3:14pm by c farmer 6 489started by TheSwede (7/20/14 at 1:33pm)10/1/14 at 9:13pm by kinkothecarp 1 538started by AeR0 (8/9/14 at 5:59pm)9/30/14 at 10:58pm by Chef JimmyJ 9 1,182started by smoked alaskan (9/14/14 at 6:46pm)9/30/14 at 7:01pm by kinkothecarp 8 821started by simmons5 (9/30/14 at 8:57am)9/30/14 at 6:19pm by kinkothecarp 1 256started by rustylikeafox (9/29/14 at 11:13am)9/30/14 at 7:50am by riverrat3 4 404started by CarbonFiber101 (9/28/14 at 11:53am)9/28/14 at 4:58pm by Bearcarver 3 200started by smoked alaskan (9/25/14 at 10:01pm)9/26/14 at 7:14am by Disco 3 738started by smoked alaskan (9/23/14 at 6:37pm)9/25/14 at 10:40am by smoked alaskan 5 341started by smokinadam (9/20/14 at 12:07pm)9/23/14 at 3:30pm by CrazyMoon 9 291started by GrumpySmoke (9/21/14 at 11:07am)9/21/14 at 11:45am by GrumpySmoke 2 478started by ScottyVA (9/17/14 at 6:06pm)9/20/14 at 4:06am by CrazyMoon 6 451
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Trying CMAi Soppressata 5 seconds ago
- › Which stick burner to buy?? 23 seconds ago
- › Rib Steaks in The Snow 5 minutes ago
- › Andouille and Smoked Cajun Sausage ~ Foamheart 5 minutes ago
- › Need help with fire box 7 minutes ago
- › Venison Jerky 8 minutes ago
- › Can i hang my UMAi in my basement? 12 minutes ago
- › Butcher Bologna ??? 17 minutes ago
- › Makin' Bacon 18 minutes ago
- › What pellets with what food? 21 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub