Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 9
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by clark337 (3/13/15 at 4:57pm)3/15/15 at 8:16am by CrazyMoon 3 355started by baresnake (2/17/15 at 4:42pm)3/14/15 at 7:55am by DukeBurger 6 344started by clark337 (3/9/15 at 10:04pm)3/13/15 at 12:18pm by clark337 5 416started by MinneasotaSmker (3/2/15 at 2:57pm)3/2/15 at 9:51pm by forluvofsmoke 1 482started by Adam D (2/17/15 at 7:02am)2/26/15 at 5:24pm by TexasInfidel 13 549started by Stayhot (2/25/15 at 7:09pm)2/26/15 at 5:00am by gary s 5 233started by FrankG21 (2/19/15 at 7:34am)2/19/15 at 3:56pm by gary s 4 335started by Adam D (2/16/15 at 7:08pm)2/17/15 at 12:01am by cmayna 4 733started by MathMan (12/25/14 at 5:45pm)2/16/15 at 8:00pm by unkerdas 11 1,652started by jwcnj4502 (2/15/15 at 1:27pm)2/16/15 at 2:51pm by CrazyMoon 3 5022/14/15 at 5:58am by gary s 23 1,167started by wagdog (2/1/15 at 9:36pm)2/2/15 at 8:09am by wagdog 4 444started by Bodine (1/29/15 at 2:18pm)2/1/15 at 5:01am by CrazyMoon 3 1,179started by dirtsailor2003 (1/29/15 at 7:58pm)2/1/15 at 5:00am by CrazyMoon 8 3701/30/15 at 9:12am by setrakian2014 32 1,450started by AeR0 (7/23/14 at 7:01pm)1/29/15 at 7:40pm by fire in the hole 8 6,682started by kfin (1/27/15 at 5:11pm)1/29/15 at 10:01am by ElginPlowboy 2 315started by Baldar5 (1/28/15 at 8:35pm)1/29/15 at 2:37am by CrazyMoon 1 530started by nesmokingchad (1/27/15 at 8:23pm)1/28/15 at 8:02am by nesmokingchad 2 195started by Bodine (1/25/15 at 11:54am)1/25/15 at 2:54pm by themule69 5 378started by jrm6012 (1/19/15 at 5:37pm)1/20/15 at 6:26am by themule69 1 242started by Mark Williams (1/16/15 at 9:24am)1/19/15 at 6:32pm by TheChefSLC 3 370started by PattyQ (1/4/15 at 8:36pm)1/16/15 at 12:58am by Wobblehd 13 972started by DebW (1/14/15 at 3:22pm)1/14/15 at 5:59pm by DebW 2 693started by Adam D (1/14/15 at 10:49am)1/14/15 at 12:31pm by timberjet 4 330started by Adam D (1/12/15 at 9:21pm)1/13/15 at 9:32pm by Adam D 6 914started by Bladebuilder (1/10/15 at 9:52pm)1/12/15 at 2:35pm by PattyQ 4 439started by Bodine (1/11/15 at 4:02pm)1/12/15 at 2:22pm by PattyQ 4 739started by Bill Ace 350 (1/8/15 at 7:44am)1/10/15 at 10:26am by Bill Ace 350 13 769started by Haywire Haywood (1/7/15 at 2:22pm)1/9/15 at 5:48pm by Haywire Haywood 6 754started by Jeff Sedlmayr (1/8/15 at 12:30pm)1/8/15 at 2:26pm by CrazyMoon 5 302started by Smoke_Chef (7/28/14 at 6:50am)1/7/15 at 9:18am by PattyQ 14 2,519started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:23pm)1/7/15 at 7:55am by RASelkirk 11 1,010started by Adam D (1/4/15 at 11:44am)1/6/15 at 1:59pm by CrazyMoon 2 7641/4/15 at 8:40pm by bertman 25 1,173started by patvj2 (12/19/14 at 4:26pm)1/4/15 at 11:39am by Adam D 4 1,120started by gunkle (1/1/15 at 7:14pm)1/2/15 at 7:35am by themule69 1 304started by freakynorm (12/30/14 at 11:06am)12/31/14 at 11:16am by themule69 5 383started by newfie bullet (12/22/14 at 7:18pm)12/29/14 at 6:23pm by MossyMO 14 1,066started by RASelkirk (12/28/14 at 4:30pm)12/29/14 at 8:04am by dirtsailor2003 1 344started by Helmrod (12/27/14 at 6:42pm)12/28/14 at 4:03am by CrazyMoon 1 151started by ronabramson (12/23/14 at 11:17am)12/24/14 at 11:59am by CrazyMoon 6 733started by gwallace (12/23/14 at 2:24pm)12/23/14 at 2:39pm by boykjo 1 269started by Marcus Killion (12/21/14 at 7:50am)12/23/14 at 3:15am by CrazyMoon 8 551started by CrazyMoon (12/21/14 at 7:08am)12/22/14 at 2:33am by CrazyMoon 9 561started by masonman1345 (12/18/14 at 6:13am)12/21/14 at 7:13pm by smoked alaskan 3 743started by bigant0826 (12/19/14 at 7:45am)12/21/14 at 4:02am by CrazyMoon 3 451started by smoked alaskan (12/14/14 at 3:32pm)12/15/14 at 5:02pm by smoked alaskan 3 448started by tgrimmett (11/13/14 at 6:36pm)12/14/14 at 6:17pm by Possum Belly 15 2,25312/12/14 at 2:01pm by daRicksta 21 1,378
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › My Traeger turned off in the middle of the night with 10 whole... 1 minute ago
- › Cement block smoker please help 2 minutes ago
- › NEW UDS Smoker (Burn Issues) 9 minutes ago
- › Smoking and Reheating 12 minutes ago
- › Hi My name is Daniel 23 minutes ago
- › New guy with lots to learn and my smoker just quit with a pork loin... 25 minutes ago
- › Made a GREAT smoked salsa! 26 minutes ago
- › New to forum w/ a Chargriller Duo 31 minutes ago
- › Greetings!!! 34 minutes ago
- › Big Ideas 36 minutes ago
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Pellet Grill by Gjd53
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by Smokedevil
- › 3 Inch Large Smoker Thermometer by Tragusa113
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by bigdumbjarhead
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by 603Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by daRicksta
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by BC taster
- › Brinkmann Pro Series 4400 by LilyArscott
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS