Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by UNCLE HARLEY (3/22/17 at 3:36pm)3/24/17 at 4:37am by Stayhot 4 82started by nepas (3/21/17 at 1:25pm)3/22/17 at 5:08pm by DaveOmak 3 107started by MossyMO (3/19/17 at 10:48am)3/22/17 at 3:11pm by CrazyMoon 10 128started by glutton11 (3/20/17 at 11:11pm)3/21/17 at 6:49am by glutton11 2 96started by Ryan Y (3/15/17 at 6:50pm)3/16/17 at 8:09pm by Ryan Y 5 123started by DomVoc (3/15/17 at 5:56pm)3/16/17 at 1:12pm by Chef JimmyJ 6 144started by DomVoc (3/7/17 at 10:07pm)3/16/17 at 3:11am by stovebolt 19 377started by nepas (3/12/17 at 5:25am)3/14/17 at 3:55am by boykjo 6 139started by rbnice1 (3/8/17 at 5:57pm)3/12/17 at 11:05am by rbnice1 14 327started by DomVoc (3/7/17 at 5:29pm)3/9/17 at 6:30pm by DomVoc 4 169started by DaveOmak (12/24/16 at 3:45pm)3/8/17 at 12:17pm by worktogthr 16 634started by DomVoc (3/7/17 at 2:26pm)3/7/17 at 9:57pm by DomVoc 6 144started by Hornnumb2 (3/6/17 at 6:53pm)3/7/17 at 6:59pm by Hornnumb2 17 4433/6/17 at 11:24am by Chef JimmyJ 21 730started by glutton11 (3/5/17 at 9:28pm)3/6/17 at 3:11am by SmokinAl 1 118started by Hornnumb2 (3/3/17 at 6:18pm)3/3/17 at 8:32pm by gr0uch0 1 1302/27/17 at 4:46pm by the munt 27 469started by SmokinCraig (2/26/17 at 7:34am)2/27/17 at 4:46am by SmokinCraig 17 229started by TripleQ (2/24/17 at 5:45pm)2/26/17 at 10:54am by tropics 10 1892/26/17 at 7:15am by SmokinCraig 128 11,1642/26/17 at 2:58am by tropics 26 354started by thesmayway (2/23/17 at 3:29pm)2/24/17 at 4:58pm by thesmayway 2 1202/24/17 at 3:59pm by DukeBurger 31 1,302started by kurd2408 (2/22/17 at 12:22pm)2/23/17 at 4:20pm by Kajun58 5 164started by JohnH12 (2/22/17 at 7:40am)2/23/17 at 2:05am by Pete Mazz 4 256started by dirtsailor2003 (2/22/17 at 9:49am)2/22/17 at 11:59am by dirtsailor2003 7 184started by Hornnumb2 (2/21/17 at 2:37pm)2/21/17 at 3:26pm by Hornnumb2 5 662/19/17 at 1:49pm by MyOwnIdaho 29 396started by TripleQ (2/18/17 at 6:08am)2/19/17 at 8:21am by dirtsailor2003 5 1422/17/17 at 11:30am by tropics 20 229started by localjerkyman (2/16/17 at 11:31am)2/16/17 at 6:39pm by localjerkyman 6 2422/12/17 at 3:22pm by forluvofsmoke 32 10,189started by Mikedaub (1/30/17 at 11:02am)2/11/17 at 6:02pm by whistech 16 428started by John Prochaska (2/8/17 at 5:01pm)2/9/17 at 9:34am by DaveOmak 2 290started by Potsieko (2/6/17 at 11:34am)2/8/17 at 3:32pm by MyOwnIdaho 16 464started by wayoutwest (1/31/17 at 11:54pm)2/8/17 at 1:52pm by 4 Seasons Jerky 7 3292/5/17 at 8:15pm by MyOwnIdaho 29 5011/31/17 at 6:37pm by 4 Seasons Jerky 27 670started by phatbac (1/30/17 at 12:02pm)1/31/17 at 6:54am by phatbac 10 359started by afogg (1/23/17 at 3:53pm)1/30/17 at 11:26am by DaveOmak 5 470started by afogg (1/29/17 at 11:22am)1/30/17 at 10:18am by afogg 4 91started by thebigsmooth (1/29/17 at 10:47am)1/30/17 at 9:00am by Bearcarver 6 247started by Buffalo diesel (1/28/17 at 5:38am)1/29/17 at 4:16am by Bellaru 3 78started by logankarl (1/28/17 at 12:43pm)1/28/17 at 11:45pm by Chef JimmyJ 2 141started by localjerkyman (1/23/17 at 3:19pm)1/28/17 at 3:18pm by AceG 13 4041/26/17 at 12:35pm by 4 Seasons Jerky 23 1,929started by mrad (1/25/17 at 10:31am)1/26/17 at 8:38am by Noboundaries 6 219started by AntiX (1/19/17 at 8:52am)1/24/17 at 1:47pm by AntiX 12 396started by MyOwnIdaho (1/21/17 at 2:17pm)1/24/17 at 9:02am by Disco 16 2021/23/17 at 1:30pm by the munt 81 6,050
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Green Mountain Grills 10 minutes ago
- › Smoked then Sous Vide Brisket for a southern themed meal... 30 minutes ago
- › Remember Witts Seasoning? 45 minutes ago
- › Oklahoma Joe's vertical, advice needed 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Webber smoking 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › Leg Of Lamb !! 1 hour, 37 minutes ago
- › Leggs #114 Beef/Elk 1 hour, 39 minutes ago
- › ThermoPro TP20 any good? 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › big bacon 1 hour, 53 minutes ago
- › Spit Roasted Fire Bathed Cheddar Brats 2 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations