Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by synapse88 (Today at 5:44 pm)Today at 5:44 pm by synapse88 0 12started by Adam D (2/17/15 at 7:02am)Yesterday at 7:05 am by hondabbq 17 597started by Basil (12/24/16 at 12:42pm)7/24/17 at 8:44pm by Hoity Toit 5 421started by KonradKrates (7/21/17 at 12:23pm)7/21/17 at 12:23pm by KonradKrates 0 62started by hondabbq (7/20/17 at 7:36am)7/21/17 at 4:26am by hondabbq 3 90started by hondabbq (7/18/17 at 10:54am)7/19/17 at 11:16am by MeatSweats86 12 139started by nate07 (7/13/17 at 4:03pm)7/17/17 at 2:20pm by Noboundaries 6 270started by MeatSweats86 (11/28/16 at 8:28am)7/13/17 at 11:02am by MeatSweats86 9 326started by Noboundaries (6/7/17 at 2:47pm)7/12/17 at 6:18pm by LanceP 19 486started by Oregonfisher (6/25/17 at 11:44pm)7/12/17 at 3:45am by Zerowin 7 314started by lifted smoke (7/11/17 at 3:42am)7/11/17 at 3:16pm by lifted smoke 2 787/11/17 at 4:25am by DaveOmak 48 29,777started by nateslu1 (7/9/17 at 1:25pm)7/10/17 at 8:15am by Rings R Us 5 1627/4/17 at 8:55am by drgonzo2k2 135 13,040started by JoeCapo (7/3/17 at 5:57pm)7/4/17 at 8:03am by JoeCapo 4 183started by Sauce1 (6/25/17 at 8:45am)6/27/17 at 1:47pm by Sauce1 7 130About to start making sliced beef jerky for the first time in my MES 30" can someone help me with...started by logicalron (6/22/17 at 10:34am)6/27/17 at 12:14pm by Shyzabrau 10 2726/26/17 at 5:06pm by ChileRelleno 40 549started by petermodzq (6/21/17 at 3:11am)6/21/17 at 3:11am by petermodzq 0 117started by Briggy (6/17/17 at 6:47pm)6/20/17 at 2:48am by tropics 5 198started by SmokinDrum (6/15/17 at 2:51pm)6/17/17 at 4:05am by ou812dano 6 139started by logicalron (6/16/17 at 2:19am)6/16/17 at 10:21am by logicalron 2 146started by Sauce1 (6/15/17 at 12:26pm)6/16/17 at 4:40am by tropics 2 136started by smitch (6/10/17 at 12:33pm)6/15/17 at 5:53pm by sharp1959 11 393started by nepas (6/11/17 at 6:55am)6/11/17 at 3:50pm by dirtsailor2003 3 77started by mainemade82 (6/11/17 at 2:53pm)6/11/17 at 3:01pm by dirtsailor2003 1 946/11/17 at 2:37pm by DaveOmak 37 20,858started by nepas (6/9/17 at 8:04pm)6/10/17 at 2:56pm by nepas 3 117started by capt7383 (6/8/17 at 6:51pm)6/9/17 at 4:07pm by capt7383 9 210started by Submariner (6/6/17 at 2:16pm)6/7/17 at 10:18am by SmokinAl 2 140started by rbnice1 (6/1/17 at 7:56pm)6/2/17 at 9:55pm by rbnice1 6 210started by Dittoman1 (5/29/17 at 12:52pm)5/30/17 at 10:37am by Slipaway 3 252started by smokindeer (5/29/17 at 11:04am)5/29/17 at 1:01pm by CrazyMoon 2 1285/29/17 at 8:26am by Bearcarver 116 35,207started by shiftgreen (5/26/17 at 7:32pm)5/29/17 at 7:31am by dirtsailor2003 1 1835/25/17 at 12:04pm by dirtsailor2003 22 847started by dendrob (5/22/17 at 7:00pm)5/25/17 at 7:26am by Shyzabrau 6 226started by cg13 (5/20/17 at 5:27pm)5/20/17 at 5:27pm by cg13 0 137started by DomVoc (3/15/17 at 5:56pm)5/20/17 at 4:49pm by cg13 7 519started by dirtsailor2003 (4/28/17 at 9:37am)5/12/17 at 2:17pm by Dave Schiller 19 6115/7/17 at 9:37am by dirtsailor2003 21 387started by Lantzy75 (5/6/17 at 5:09pm)5/6/17 at 5:43pm by CrankyBuzzard 1 107started by Darkspy13 (4/30/17 at 8:30am)5/1/17 at 5:34am by ammaturesmoker 6 512started by damascusmaker (4/23/17 at 2:37pm)4/28/17 at 9:28am by dirtsailor2003 3 1954/26/17 at 8:10pm by Brained121 33 323started by SmokinHusker (6/21/12 at 9:48am)4/26/17 at 6:28pm by hooked on smoke 16 7,867started by PuckingGoalie (4/25/17 at 11:16am)4/25/17 at 12:18pm by dirtsailor2003 3 323started by dog1234 (4/22/17 at 3:16pm)4/22/17 at 8:02pm by mosparky 2 1434/20/17 at 2:03pm by Bearcarver 60 5,9004/19/17 at 8:08pm by TripleQ 49 1,139
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Curing bacon is a bit...off? 34 seconds ago
- › Trying Umai Soppressata 7 minutes ago
- › New Guy here from Minnesota 9 minutes ago
- › Boston Butt Pulled Pork (Step by Step) 17 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited Edition 17 minutes ago
- › 1st Smoker and I'm trying Everything 19 minutes ago
- › converting to electric 30 minutes ago
- › New Dyna-Glo vertical offset smoker 32 minutes ago
- › ECB Electric Trying To Improve My Shoulder Method 33 minutes ago
- › What's your favorite home cooked meal?? 47 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by ronaldjallen1
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Outdoor Leisure 34168G Smoke Hollow Propane-Gas Smoker by raider2119
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Jeff Houser
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Smokingmax
- › Weber Summit S-670 by Grillin Joey
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ