Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by dirtsailor2003 (Today at 9:37 am)Today at 1:22 pm by CrankyBuzzard 5 47started by damascusmaker (4/23/17 at 2:37pm)Today at 9:28 am by dirtsailor2003 3 934/26/17 at 8:10pm by Brained121 33 253started by SmokinHusker (6/21/12 at 9:48am)4/26/17 at 6:28pm by hooked on smoke 16 7,586started by PuckingGoalie (4/25/17 at 11:16am)4/25/17 at 12:18pm by dirtsailor2003 3 72started by dog1234 (4/22/17 at 3:16pm)4/22/17 at 8:02pm by mosparky 2 684/20/17 at 2:03pm by Bearcarver 60 5,0664/19/17 at 8:08pm by TripleQ 49 909started by JohnH12 (2/22/17 at 7:40am)4/19/17 at 8:05am by Mr T 59874 16 5454/18/17 at 5:36pm by hooked on smoke 129 11,732started by kerosenedreams (4/15/17 at 1:08am)4/15/17 at 11:28pm by Chef JimmyJ 5 132started by TromaRon (4/13/17 at 1:51pm)4/15/17 at 6:21am by TromaRon 4 85started by zdenise (4/13/17 at 6:06pm)4/14/17 at 8:08pm by zdenise 4 114started by kendec65 (4/11/17 at 8:32am)4/13/17 at 5:02am by Hawkce541 5 200started by c farmer (4/1/17 at 8:42pm)4/12/17 at 9:16am by Disco 19 276started by Lantzy75 (4/9/17 at 9:52am)4/10/17 at 4:26pm by Lantzy75 9 230started by matru (3/31/17 at 7:04am)4/7/17 at 1:15pm by matru 7 451started by Oregonfisher (4/4/17 at 10:07pm)4/6/17 at 2:00pm by CrazyMoon 1 105started by dog1234 (4/2/17 at 6:54am)4/2/17 at 9:30am by dog1234 7 1964/2/17 at 6:28am by SmokinAl 28 879started by dog1234 (3/31/17 at 12:01pm)3/31/17 at 12:58pm by tropics 2 1573/30/17 at 11:51am by dirtsailor2003 32 536started by Skeletoil (3/29/17 at 2:05pm)3/30/17 at 4:32am by SmokinAl 5 146started by MossyMO (3/19/17 at 10:48am)3/28/17 at 11:25am by Disco 11 260started by UNCLE HARLEY (3/22/17 at 3:36pm)3/24/17 at 4:37am by Stayhot 4 146started by nepas (3/21/17 at 1:25pm)3/22/17 at 5:08pm by DaveOmak 3 145started by glutton11 (3/20/17 at 11:11pm)3/21/17 at 6:49am by glutton11 2 163started by Ryan Y (3/15/17 at 6:50pm)3/16/17 at 8:09pm by Ryan Y 5 163started by DomVoc (3/15/17 at 5:56pm)3/16/17 at 1:12pm by Chef JimmyJ 6 216started by DomVoc (3/7/17 at 10:07pm)3/16/17 at 3:11am by stovebolt 19 510started by nepas (3/12/17 at 5:25am)3/14/17 at 3:55am by boykjo 6 166started by rbnice1 (3/8/17 at 5:57pm)3/12/17 at 11:05am by rbnice1 14 452started by DomVoc (3/7/17 at 5:29pm)3/9/17 at 6:30pm by DomVoc 4 244started by DaveOmak (12/24/16 at 3:45pm)3/8/17 at 12:17pm by worktogthr 16 792started by DomVoc (3/7/17 at 2:26pm)3/7/17 at 9:57pm by DomVoc 6 192started by Hornnumb2 (3/6/17 at 6:53pm)3/7/17 at 6:59pm by Hornnumb2 17 7163/6/17 at 11:24am by Chef JimmyJ 21 835started by glutton11 (3/5/17 at 9:28pm)3/6/17 at 3:11am by SmokinAl 1 172started by Hornnumb2 (3/3/17 at 6:18pm)3/3/17 at 8:32pm by gr0uch0 1 1612/27/17 at 4:46pm by the munt 27 513started by SmokinCraig (2/26/17 at 7:34am)2/27/17 at 4:46am by SmokinCraig 17 256started by TripleQ (2/24/17 at 5:45pm)2/26/17 at 10:54am by tropics 10 219started by thesmayway (2/23/17 at 3:29pm)2/24/17 at 4:58pm by thesmayway 2 1342/24/17 at 3:59pm by DukeBurger 31 1,501started by kurd2408 (2/22/17 at 12:22pm)2/23/17 at 4:20pm by Kajun58 5 181started by dirtsailor2003 (2/22/17 at 9:49am)2/22/17 at 11:59am by dirtsailor2003 7 211started by Hornnumb2 (2/21/17 at 2:37pm)2/21/17 at 3:26pm by Hornnumb2 5 832/19/17 at 1:49pm by MyOwnIdaho 29 430started by TripleQ (2/18/17 at 6:08am)2/19/17 at 8:21am by dirtsailor2003 5 1662/17/17 at 11:30am by tropics 20 253
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › New to smoking from Panama City, FL 12 minutes ago
- › Step away from the pit! BBQ Shrimp, Cajun Style 14 minutes ago
- › UMAi Salami 16 minutes ago
- › Hello from Washington! 19 minutes ago
- › Rib time! 22 minutes ago
- › Beef Short Plate 39 minutes ago
- › Hello From Texas 55 minutes ago
- › (newbie) Vertical smoker (WSM) VS offset smoker 55 minutes ago
- › New Guy 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › South Florida Spring Gathering - Apr. 28-30 ("IT'S ON") 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by tbdomenz
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › "Uncured" hot dogs, bacons
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients