Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies ViewsToday at 5:30 pm by Motocrash 22 442started by mrad (Today at 7:30 am)Today at 8:35 am by phatbac 4 42started by Hotwheels9 (9/17/17 at 7:48am)Yesterday at 12:04 pm by Hotwheels9 10 87started by Hondo (9/13/17 at 6:33am)9/15/17 at 1:48pm by Zerowin 6 156started by wanna-be-smoker (9/14/17 at 12:35pm)9/15/17 at 2:37am by tropics 7 73started by Hondo (9/14/17 at 12:40pm)9/14/17 at 1:49pm by DaveOmak 3 74started by Uncle Eddie (9/4/17 at 11:41am)9/13/17 at 2:36am by CrazyMoon 4 74started by gearloose (9/9/17 at 2:58pm)9/12/17 at 9:28pm by dirtsailor2003 11 196started by SpicyCheeseHead (9/12/17 at 5:05pm)9/12/17 at 5:05pm by SpicyCheeseHead 0 319/12/17 at 6:19am by DaveOmak 61 32,9299/9/17 at 1:23am by blacktuskjerky 34 2,351started by porkytrotter (8/14/17 at 3:37pm)9/7/17 at 5:18pm by porkytrotter 10 219started by nepas (9/4/17 at 8:22am)9/6/17 at 5:31am by nepas 6 106started by Noboundaries (8/11/17 at 9:40am)9/5/17 at 12:21pm by Motocrash 6 183started by Oregonfisher (4/4/17 at 10:07pm)9/3/17 at 8:19pm by Firewolf 2 5159/3/17 at 7:46am by dirtsailor2003 152 13,877started by colinb913 (9/1/17 at 7:06pm)9/2/17 at 8:58am by Bearcarver 5 149started by Bill Ace 350 (8/26/17 at 7:24am)9/2/17 at 6:39am by Bill Ace 350 2 116started by synapse88 (7/26/17 at 5:44pm)9/1/17 at 3:47am by tsonka 9 405started by rgsolution (8/31/17 at 6:17pm)8/31/17 at 8:02pm by cmayna 2 62started by payne7744 (2/24/12 at 11:54am)8/31/17 at 4:05pm by MommaLoock 5 938started by hondabbq (8/24/17 at 8:00am)8/25/17 at 4:07am by tropics 5 185started by phatbac (8/16/17 at 1:14pm)8/24/17 at 10:19am by phatbac 10 192started by ErickSaint (8/21/17 at 2:57pm)8/24/17 at 7:40am by ErickSaint 13 224started by Rob Sicc (8/17/17 at 7:12am)8/17/17 at 8:42pm by DaveOmak 5 204started by hondabbq (7/18/17 at 10:54am)8/17/17 at 7:36am by DaveOmak 15 273started by Rob Sicc (8/17/17 at 7:20am)8/17/17 at 7:34am by DaveOmak 1 76started by hondabbq (8/6/17 at 11:45am)8/9/17 at 12:18pm by TallBM 6 1798/6/17 at 12:36pm by Daved1 27 68,191started by johnnyb99 (8/6/17 at 9:19am)8/6/17 at 10:23am by johnnyb99 2 107started by Andy3110 (8/4/17 at 3:46am)8/5/17 at 3:53am by Andy3110 7 170started by bertgamble (8/3/17 at 11:54am)8/3/17 at 2:09pm by Hoity Toit 6 139started by JohnH12 (12/25/16 at 11:33am)7/31/17 at 9:18am by LiterOfFarva 14 659started by nate07 (7/13/17 at 4:03pm)7/30/17 at 3:51pm by Pit 4 Brains 14 7807/28/17 at 6:41pm by DaveOmak 39 21,815started by Adam D (2/17/15 at 7:02am)7/25/17 at 7:05am by hondabbq 17 664started by Basil (12/24/16 at 12:42pm)7/24/17 at 8:44pm by Hoity Toit 5 557started by KonradKrates (7/21/17 at 12:23pm)7/21/17 at 12:23pm by KonradKrates 0 111started by hondabbq (7/20/17 at 7:36am)7/21/17 at 4:26am by hondabbq 3 184started by MeatSweats86 (11/28/16 at 8:28am)7/13/17 at 11:02am by MeatSweats86 9 378started by Noboundaries (6/7/17 at 2:47pm)7/12/17 at 6:18pm by LanceP 19 863started by Oregonfisher (6/25/17 at 11:44pm)7/12/17 at 3:45am by Zerowin 7 374started by lifted smoke (7/11/17 at 3:42am)7/11/17 at 3:16pm by lifted smoke 2 96started by nateslu1 (7/9/17 at 1:25pm)7/10/17 at 8:15am by Rings R Us 5 256started by JoeCapo (7/3/17 at 5:57pm)7/4/17 at 8:03am by JoeCapo 4 257started by Sauce1 (6/25/17 at 8:45am)6/27/17 at 1:47pm by Sauce1 7 155About to start making sliced beef jerky for the first time in my MES 30" can someone help me with...started by logicalron (6/22/17 at 10:34am)6/27/17 at 12:14pm by Shyzabrau 10 3606/26/17 at 5:06pm by ChileRelleno 40 587started by petermodzq (6/21/17 at 3:11am)6/21/17 at 3:11am by petermodzq 0 153started by Briggy (6/17/17 at 6:47pm)6/20/17 at 2:48am by tropics 5 232
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › First Tri Tip 9 seconds ago
- › The Boathouse BBQ and Catering 3 minutes ago
- › tonights dinner 7 minutes ago
- › First Brisket Smoke on the WSM 9 minutes ago
- › Smoked Meatloaf 10 minutes ago
- › Green Mountain Grills 32 minutes ago
- › Smoked Honey Butter 41 minutes ago
- › Green wood chips 43 minutes ago
- › Would love the course. 52 minutes ago
- › Freezer build pics 58 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods