Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by shiftgreen (5/26/17 at 7:32pm)5/26/17 at 7:32pm by shiftgreen 0 445/25/17 at 12:04pm by dirtsailor2003 22 666started by dendrob (5/22/17 at 7:00pm)5/25/17 at 7:26am by Shyzabrau 6 142started by cg13 (5/20/17 at 5:27pm)5/20/17 at 5:27pm by cg13 0 645/20/17 at 5:19pm by cg13 113 34,386started by DomVoc (3/15/17 at 5:56pm)5/20/17 at 4:49pm by cg13 7 301started by dirtsailor2003 (4/28/17 at 9:37am)5/12/17 at 2:17pm by Dave Schiller 19 4695/7/17 at 9:37am by dirtsailor2003 21 302started by Lantzy75 (5/6/17 at 5:09pm)5/6/17 at 5:43pm by CrankyBuzzard 1 63started by Darkspy13 (4/30/17 at 8:30am)5/1/17 at 5:34am by ammaturesmoker 6 387started by damascusmaker (4/23/17 at 2:37pm)4/28/17 at 9:28am by dirtsailor2003 3 1644/26/17 at 8:10pm by Brained121 33 297started by SmokinHusker (6/21/12 at 9:48am)4/26/17 at 6:28pm by hooked on smoke 16 7,734started by PuckingGoalie (4/25/17 at 11:16am)4/25/17 at 12:18pm by dirtsailor2003 3 234started by dog1234 (4/22/17 at 3:16pm)4/22/17 at 8:02pm by mosparky 2 1204/20/17 at 2:03pm by Bearcarver 60 5,4294/19/17 at 8:08pm by TripleQ 49 1,029started by JohnH12 (2/22/17 at 7:40am)4/19/17 at 8:05am by Mr T 59874 16 6504/18/17 at 5:36pm by hooked on smoke 129 12,164started by kerosenedreams (4/15/17 at 1:08am)4/15/17 at 11:28pm by Chef JimmyJ 5 158started by TromaRon (4/13/17 at 1:51pm)4/15/17 at 6:21am by TromaRon 4 110started by zdenise (4/13/17 at 6:06pm)4/14/17 at 8:08pm by zdenise 4 142started by kendec65 (4/11/17 at 8:32am)4/13/17 at 5:02am by Hawkce541 5 289started by c farmer (4/1/17 at 8:42pm)4/12/17 at 9:16am by Disco 19 306started by Lantzy75 (4/9/17 at 9:52am)4/10/17 at 4:26pm by Lantzy75 9 281started by matru (3/31/17 at 7:04am)4/7/17 at 1:15pm by matru 7 485started by Oregonfisher (4/4/17 at 10:07pm)4/6/17 at 2:00pm by CrazyMoon 1 182started by dog1234 (4/2/17 at 6:54am)4/2/17 at 9:30am by dog1234 7 2664/2/17 at 6:28am by SmokinAl 28 959started by dog1234 (3/31/17 at 12:01pm)3/31/17 at 12:58pm by tropics 2 1813/30/17 at 11:51am by dirtsailor2003 32 599started by Skeletoil (3/29/17 at 2:05pm)3/30/17 at 4:32am by SmokinAl 5 159started by MossyMO (3/19/17 at 10:48am)3/28/17 at 11:25am by Disco 11 310started by UNCLE HARLEY (3/22/17 at 3:36pm)3/24/17 at 4:37am by Stayhot 4 169started by nepas (3/21/17 at 1:25pm)3/22/17 at 5:08pm by DaveOmak 3 164started by glutton11 (3/20/17 at 11:11pm)3/21/17 at 6:49am by glutton11 2 201started by Ryan Y (3/15/17 at 6:50pm)3/16/17 at 8:09pm by Ryan Y 5 177started by nepas (3/12/17 at 5:25am)3/14/17 at 3:55am by boykjo 6 184started by rbnice1 (3/8/17 at 5:57pm)3/12/17 at 11:05am by rbnice1 14 495started by DomVoc (3/7/17 at 5:29pm)3/9/17 at 6:30pm by DomVoc 4 354started by DaveOmak (12/24/16 at 3:45pm)3/8/17 at 12:17pm by worktogthr 16 1,003started by DomVoc (3/7/17 at 2:26pm)3/7/17 at 9:57pm by DomVoc 6 211started by Hornnumb2 (3/6/17 at 6:53pm)3/7/17 at 6:59pm by Hornnumb2 17 9273/6/17 at 11:24am by Chef JimmyJ 21 976started by glutton11 (3/5/17 at 9:28pm)3/6/17 at 3:11am by SmokinAl 1 198started by Hornnumb2 (3/3/17 at 6:18pm)3/3/17 at 8:32pm by gr0uch0 1 1832/27/17 at 4:46pm by the munt 27 555started by SmokinCraig (2/26/17 at 7:34am)2/27/17 at 4:46am by SmokinCraig 17 269started by TripleQ (2/24/17 at 5:45pm)2/26/17 at 10:54am by tropics 10 237started by thesmayway (2/23/17 at 3:29pm)2/24/17 at 4:58pm by thesmayway 2 150
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Sunday's Boston Butt 1 minute ago
- › I like big Butts.... 4 minutes ago
- › 1st Brisket Attempt 13 minutes ago
- › IT'S TIIIIIIMMME!!!!!!! FINALLY BUILDING MY REVERSE FLOW!! 33 minutes ago
- › My first smoke attempt (not a great success) 37 minutes ago
- › Brisket & (my 1st attempt @) Burnt Ends. 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Hello from Manila! 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › Laying the S'Mac Down... Smoked Mac-n-Cheese 1 hour, 34 minutes ago
- › The Yankee is in town 1 hour, 50 minutes ago
- › Just joined the group 1 hour, 57 minutes ago
- › Helotes Salado Smoker by ShutterlyExpose
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer