Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by hondabbq (Yesterday at 7:36 am)Today at 4:26 am by hondabbq 3 60started by hondabbq (7/18/17 at 10:54am)7/19/17 at 11:16am by MeatSweats86 12 117started by nate07 (7/13/17 at 4:03pm)7/17/17 at 2:20pm by Noboundaries 6 206started by MeatSweats86 (11/28/16 at 8:28am)7/13/17 at 11:02am by MeatSweats86 9 317started by Noboundaries (6/7/17 at 2:47pm)7/12/17 at 6:18pm by LanceP 19 456started by Oregonfisher (6/25/17 at 11:44pm)7/12/17 at 3:45am by Zerowin 7 294started by lifted smoke (7/11/17 at 3:42am)7/11/17 at 3:16pm by lifted smoke 2 707/11/17 at 4:25am by DaveOmak 48 29,508started by nateslu1 (7/9/17 at 1:25pm)7/10/17 at 8:15am by Rings R Us 5 1357/4/17 at 8:55am by drgonzo2k2 135 12,954started by JoeCapo (7/3/17 at 5:57pm)7/4/17 at 8:03am by JoeCapo 4 177started by Sauce1 (6/25/17 at 8:45am)6/27/17 at 1:47pm by Sauce1 7 128About to start making sliced beef jerky for the first time in my MES 30" can someone help me with...started by logicalron (6/22/17 at 10:34am)6/27/17 at 12:14pm by Shyzabrau 10 2636/26/17 at 5:06pm by ChileRelleno 40 541started by petermodzq (6/21/17 at 3:11am)6/21/17 at 3:11am by petermodzq 0 111started by Briggy (6/17/17 at 6:47pm)6/20/17 at 2:48am by tropics 5 181started by SmokinDrum (6/15/17 at 2:51pm)6/17/17 at 4:05am by ou812dano 6 136started by logicalron (6/16/17 at 2:19am)6/16/17 at 10:21am by logicalron 2 135started by Sauce1 (6/15/17 at 12:26pm)6/16/17 at 4:40am by tropics 2 122started by smitch (6/10/17 at 12:33pm)6/15/17 at 5:53pm by sharp1959 11 391started by nepas (6/11/17 at 6:55am)6/11/17 at 3:50pm by dirtsailor2003 3 74started by mainemade82 (6/11/17 at 2:53pm)6/11/17 at 3:01pm by dirtsailor2003 1 896/11/17 at 2:37pm by DaveOmak 37 20,815started by nepas (6/9/17 at 8:04pm)6/10/17 at 2:56pm by nepas 3 115started by capt7383 (6/8/17 at 6:51pm)6/9/17 at 4:07pm by capt7383 9 208started by Submariner (6/6/17 at 2:16pm)6/7/17 at 10:18am by SmokinAl 2 138started by rbnice1 (6/1/17 at 7:56pm)6/2/17 at 9:55pm by rbnice1 6 208started by Dittoman1 (5/29/17 at 12:52pm)5/30/17 at 10:37am by Slipaway 3 246started by smokindeer (5/29/17 at 11:04am)5/29/17 at 1:01pm by CrazyMoon 2 1285/29/17 at 8:26am by Bearcarver 116 35,152started by shiftgreen (5/26/17 at 7:32pm)5/29/17 at 7:31am by dirtsailor2003 1 1815/25/17 at 12:04pm by dirtsailor2003 22 836started by dendrob (5/22/17 at 7:00pm)5/25/17 at 7:26am by Shyzabrau 6 224started by cg13 (5/20/17 at 5:27pm)5/20/17 at 5:27pm by cg13 0 128started by DomVoc (3/15/17 at 5:56pm)5/20/17 at 4:49pm by cg13 7 492started by dirtsailor2003 (4/28/17 at 9:37am)5/12/17 at 2:17pm by Dave Schiller 19 6055/7/17 at 9:37am by dirtsailor2003 21 384started by Lantzy75 (5/6/17 at 5:09pm)5/6/17 at 5:43pm by CrankyBuzzard 1 107started by Darkspy13 (4/30/17 at 8:30am)5/1/17 at 5:34am by ammaturesmoker 6 507started by damascusmaker (4/23/17 at 2:37pm)4/28/17 at 9:28am by dirtsailor2003 3 1944/26/17 at 8:10pm by Brained121 33 321started by SmokinHusker (6/21/12 at 9:48am)4/26/17 at 6:28pm by hooked on smoke 16 7,860started by PuckingGoalie (4/25/17 at 11:16am)4/25/17 at 12:18pm by dirtsailor2003 3 317started by dog1234 (4/22/17 at 3:16pm)4/22/17 at 8:02pm by mosparky 2 1414/20/17 at 2:03pm by Bearcarver 60 5,8464/19/17 at 8:08pm by TripleQ 49 1,125started by JohnH12 (2/22/17 at 7:40am)4/19/17 at 8:05am by Mr T 59874 16 777started by kerosenedreams (4/15/17 at 1:08am)4/15/17 at 11:28pm by Chef JimmyJ 5 190started by TromaRon (4/13/17 at 1:51pm)4/15/17 at 6:21am by TromaRon 4 153started by zdenise (4/13/17 at 6:06pm)4/14/17 at 8:08pm by zdenise 4 171
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › BBQ'd hot wings with Amazn Pellet Smoker 1 minute ago
- › Smoking a load of meat on Saturday, need some pointers 1 minute ago
- › First butts on modified el cheapo...pics and Q view 3 minutes ago
- › 200 Gallon Oval Oil Tank Reverse Flow Smoker Build - 55 Gallon Drum... 6 minutes ago
- › New Toy - PBC initial smokes 26 minutes ago
- › What's your favorite home cooked meal?? 39 minutes ago
- › Smoking in the Napa Valley! 53 minutes ago
- › What are the most important factors generally needed or wanted on a... 54 minutes ago
- › Moving from Propane Master Built to Pellet ideas 56 minutes ago
- › Fridge Conversion - Pics and a question on heating element 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by ronaldjallen1
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Outdoor Leisure 34168G Smoke Hollow Propane-Gas Smoker by raider2119
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Jeff Houser
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Smokingmax
- › Weber Summit S-670 by Grillin Joey
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ