You may ask what is brining. Brining is a way of adding moisture and flavor to poultry somewhat like a marinade. Brining is achieved by adding salt, water or other liquids and flavorings in a 40* environment for a period of time. Basic salts are kosher, sea alt and table salt "non-iodized". The amount of kosher salt is one cup to one gallon of water, if using table salt cut the amount of salt by half as the smaller crystals weigh more per pound than kosher. Other liquids that can be mixed with water are stock, beer, wine, tea and fruit juices. Other flavors can be herbs and spices, brown sugar, mollases, honey, soy sauce etc. Option of where to brine can be in a food grade bucket in the fridge or a cooler that can hold 40* or less. Brining times are whole chicken 4-12 hours, chicken pieces 1-1 1/2 hours, whole turkey 1-2 days, turkey breasts 5-8 hours and cornish game hens 1-2 hours.
Related Forum Threads
- Getting High Temp in WSM Last post on 1/22/15 at 6:16am in Poultry
- Last minute ribs and chicken Last post on 11/30/13 at 4:42pm in Pork
- My Favorite. Whole Chicken Last post on 11/24/13 at 6:43pm in Poultry
- Smoking Chicken Last post on 11/20/13 at 7:53am in Roll Call
- Chicken and Pork Tamales... Last post on 11/22/13 at 4:20am in General Discussion
Currently, there are 462 Active Users (12 Members and 450 Guests)
- › OK so any scientific reason why one should not use water or any... 17 minutes ago
- › Assistance please 22 minutes ago
- › New Smoker (OK Joe) 36 minutes ago
- › Bob's MES 30 Analog build 57 minutes ago
- › OK what the hell am I doing wrong with my AMZPS?! 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Replace Camp Chef controller with PID 1 hour, 21 minutes ago
- › Excessive condensation during a cook 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
- › Whole Hog BBQ For Block Party 1 hour, 28 minutes ago
- › Stainless Steel Off-Set Smoker 1 hour, 40 minutes ago
- › Top Sirlioin Santa Maria Style 1 hour, 49 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › How to choose a good gas grill
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy