Snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Charkey

Original poster
Apr 9, 2024
Just made my first batch of venison snack sticks. They taste fine but the casing are a bit tough to chew. I used Lems casings, which says they are edible. Any thoughts

Reactions: JLeonard
I had the same issue. Most did get better after a few days in the fridge, but I still had some that never did lose that "chewyness". Wonder if there are quality differences among collagen casings like there is among naturals??

Collagen casings are what they are. They are made partially from animal hide. Natural casings are a good option although they won’t go as small, then you can always go casingless or go cellulose and strip them but I’m not sure they go that small either.

If you stuff and rest overnight, covered in the fridge and then smoke/cook this help with hydration of collagen casings as well.

Condition your casing before you stuff.

Put your collagen in a zip bag and in the fridge for while..opened

Vac seal the ones you dont use and put in fridge. When I buy a caddy they are shipped with a frozen pack and the caddy is vac sealed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky