Rainy Day Canning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Rainy and cool for the next few days, so any yard work is a no-go.

Instead, I will pressure can some beef and chicken. More pints again.

My stockpile is growing.

Haven't canned pork yet, but next time I see pork loin on sale I'll grab it.

What do you pressure canners make with your canned pork?

I've Yet to can vegetables but maybe ill learn this year. Canned meat is intriguing but even more intimidating. I'd think canned pork would be great in soups, stews and chilis

Reactions: bill ace 350
I've Yet to can vegetables but maybe ill learn this year. Canned meat is intriguing but even more intimidating. I'd think canned pork would be great in soups, stews and chilis
Don't be intimated! Start with canned pickles and jump right in and pressure can some Chili or something!

Hardest part of pressure canning was learning how your burner and your pressure canner get along, such as min temp to maintain pressure... Do a practice run with canned water until you dial it in...

Or better yet, forget about the dial gauge and get a weighted regulator...

Really very simple. Don't waste time, jump right in!

Can't wait for pickling cucumers. Learned from last time and kept notes.

They can only go from very good to better!

My favorite thing to pressure can in my All American 21 is lightly smoked salmon, do it out on my patio. Mix it up with a little mayo and pickle relish like tuna, makes a great sanny. I took a stab at strawberry jam some months back, mixed results, hot water bath might be the way to go there. I'd like to revisit that effort again soon and try blackberry this time, I have loads of berries vac-sealed in my freezer.

DSCN1952.JPG

hot water bath might be the way to go there. I'd like to revisit that effort again soon and try blackberry this time, I have loads of berries vac-sealed in my freezer.

You had me looking at your pressure cooker when we were in jam season. But it really intimadated me . So I still do the water bath way, as so far it works for me .

Instead, I will pressure can some beef and chicken. More pints again.

My stockpile is growing.

Haven't canned pork yet, but next time I see pork loin on sale I'll grab it.

What do you pressure canners make with your canned pork?

I have never though about canning meat, I have seen it before and lots of recipes.
I had canned Moose meat once...Had to be the worse thing I have ever tasted, and Moose meat is my most favorite meat.
( to be fare the person that gave it to me is a little rough around the edges in food prep, cleanliness etc, so that did not help )
And I am a bit of a food preserve snob, just for health reasons .

Sorry to get off track from the post.

David

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
My favorite thing to pressure can in my All American 21 is lightly smoked salmon, do it out on my patio. Mix it up with a little mayo and pickle relish like tuna, makes a great sanny. I took a stab at strawberry jam some months back, mixed results, hot water bath might be the way to go there. I'd like to revisit that effort again soon and try blackberry this time, I have loads of berries vac-sealed in my freezer.

View attachment 694314
I have the same one, I bought it yrs ago off of Craig's list from a town 70 miles north of me. I took a chance on it, it was stupid cheap $65, I told the person I would throw in the shipping cost, and they said they would hand deliver it to me the next week when they were down here for work. I though yeah sure I just got took for $65, A week later the lady calls me and says they are 20 minutes from my house, so I ran down to the market and bought her some flowers and a nice bottle of wine, I figured if she didn't show up I could score some points with my wife. LOL!!!
To my disbelief, I get a knock on my door and the woman asks if I am Dan, then hands me the cooker, and it's still in the OG box and looks brand new. There are some amazing people in this world, don't let the bad ones bring you down.

I need to start using it more, I mainly bought for canning Albacore, Salmon, Meat, Pasta sauce, and Salsa.

Dan.

For those of you worried about canning meat, meat is the easiest thing there is to can by far. Fresh pack it, add a little salt and pepper to season it, and process it at the pressure and time it calls for and that's it.
No need to add acid or worry about ph.

I need to start using it more, I mainly bought for canning Albacore, Salmon, Meat, Dan.
That was the main reason I bought mine Dan. When we lived in CA I had a 22' Proline cuddy with skiptower, fished Monterey to Bodega Bay for around 45 years. I don't miss CA a lick, but I do miss the ocean and all it would provide me. RAY

That was the main reason I bought mine Dan. When we lived in CA I had a 22' Proline cuddy with skiptower, fished Monterey to Bodega Bay for around 45 years. I don't miss CA a lick, but I do miss the ocean and all it would provide me. RAY
Ray, they are slowly taking away all of our ocean fishing, bastards!!!
I can't wait to escape CA. I can't leave until my parents are gone, they won't leave, and I can't leave them behind, they are in their mid 80's and need assistance.

Ray, they are slowly taking away all of our ocean fishing, bastards!!!
I can't wait to escape CA. I can't leave until my parents are gone, they won't leave, and I can't leave them behind, they are in their mid 80's and need assistance.
Yeah, I know how that goes, my FIL will be 98 next month, we took him with us. He's a independent old SOB, got his own apartment few miles away from us, wife brings him my cooking a couple times a week.

No salmon season this year or last year. Rock fishing without a map of the closed zones is a sure ticket. They shut down Dungeness season because a whale got caught up in crab line. I've got old friends that are paying to berth boats they can't sell. My property taxes here are a quarter of what they were in CA, and I have a bigger lot with pool here. How come gas is so much more expensive in CA? I could go on, but I won't. Homeless folks don't migrate here, too hot, I really like that too!

Reactions: forktender
I have the same one, I bought it yrs ago off of Craig's list from a town 70 miles north of me. I took a chance on it, it was stupid cheap $65, I told the person I would throw in the shipping cost, and they said they would hand deliver it to me the next week when they were down here for work. I though yeah sure I just got took for $65, A week later the lady calls me and says they are 20 minutes from my house, so I ran down to the market and bought her some flowers and a nice bottle of wine, I figured if she didn't show up I could score some points with my wife. LOL!!!
To my disbelief, I get a knock on my door and the woman asks if I am Dan, then hands me the cooker, and it's still in the OG box and looks brand new. There are some amazing people in this world, don't let the bad ones bring you down.

I need to start using it more, I mainly bought for canning Albacore, Salmon, Meat, Pasta sauce, and Salsa.

Dan.

For those of you worried about canning meat, meat is the easiest thing there is to can by far. Fresh pack it, add a little salt and pepper to season it, and process it at the pressure and time it calls for and that's it.
No need to add acid or worry about ph.
I have a 921 as well. I use the presto more frequently though.

Both are great canners.

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky