Pork belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’m not to familiar with curing salt. But what will to much of it do? Been looking into also smoking my own and wondering the pros and cons of dry brining vs wet brining, cold smoke vs hot.

I’m not to familiar with curing salt. But what will to much of it do?
Curing salt (cure #1), will make you sick if too much is used. That's why the FDA regulates the allowable amounts in food. I've only used cure #1, mostly in bacon, but some smoked sausage such as kielbasa. It contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% salt. That's the maximum nitrite allowed by the FDA. Basically, cure #1 is applied as a percentage of the total weight of the meat, .25% of the weight. That number, .25%, can not change.

There are plenty of others with much more experience than me who can give you more insight...

Reactions: 02ebz06
Curing salt (cure #1), will make you sick if too much is used. That's why the FDA regulates the allowable amounts in food. I've only used cure #1, mostly in bacon, but some smoked sausage such as kielbasa. It contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% salt. That's the maximum nitrite allowed by the FDA. Basically, cure #1 is applied as a percentage of the total weight of the meat, .25% of the weight. That number, .25%, can not change.

There are plenty of others with much more experience than me who can give you more insight...
Thank god I asked. I wouldn’t have known that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky