First pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CanuckSmokerSoggy

Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
Did my first pork shoulder overnight, coated in mustard as a binder with cluck & squeal rub to let it sit for a few hours before putting it on the GMG at 225
IMG_7959.jpeg

Had it going good till the early morning where it stalled just shy of 160 so wrapped it with brown sugars and honey (dairy allergy so no butter) then bumped it up to 250 and let it sit for 2hrs and it shredded alright but think if it sat longer it woulda been more tender.
IMG_7980.jpeg

The most important thing was wife and kids loved it so next time think will do a full day so I don’t miss any sleep.

Looks great to me. In the future if you want soft pulled meat watch the IT and once you hit 200F you are close, from there probe for tender with a bamboo skewer or similar. When done the probe will push in all over the meat with almost no resistance, think of pushing the skewer into a jar of creamy peanut butter. Then it’s done.

Looks great to me. In the future if you want soft pulled meat watch the IT and once you hit 200F you are close, from there probe for tender with a bamboo skewer or similar. When done the probe will push in all over the meat with almost no resistance, think of pushing the skewer into a jar of creamy peanut butter. Then it’s done.
appreciate that, I used the digital thermometer on some spots and it was alright but rushed it a bit I think as wanted it to rest for awhile and was few hours from dinner.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
What he said, also don't be shy about forgetting the 225° and running your pit in the 275-300° range. You will not notice any difference in the end product at all.

Looks grand! I don't make it very often but looks like it might be time.

appreciate that, I used the digital thermometer on some spots and it was alright but rushed it a bit I think as wanted it to rest for awhile and was few hours from dinner.
The meat tells you when it’s done. Temp probes give you a good idea of when you are close. The meat can finish or be done anywhere from 195-210. You have to probe each meat for the doneness. Usually 205 is the magic, but not always.

Reactions: DougE and JLeonard
Soggy, Looking good! The more ya cook the more you learn.

Kick that cook temp up to 260F - 300F We call it hot and fast. Use Internal Temp as a guide to doneness.
Probe tender first, then wrap and rest, REST. I double foil and wrap in towel and into a cooler for a minimum of 1 hour. This rest is a VERY important part. Roast will finish cooking and draw moisture back in.

RG

Reactions: JLeonard
I'd gladly eat that, looks delicious!
If I'm not mistaken I think civilsmoker civilsmoker did a thread on pork butts done by supper time but starting in the morning, none of this overnight stuff.

Ryan

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky