First offset smoke, what do you think?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WolfMcCallister

Original poster
Mar 13, 2024
Just did my first smoke on my Old Country G2 offset, I picked it up on Saturday! This is my first offset smoke ever, so I'm brand new to fire management. Here are pics of my chicken quarters... any tips based on the look of the meat? I've never actually done chicken quarters before either... I think the skin was a little more chewy than I would have liked, how do you finish it off to get a crisp bite?

Thanks! No need to be gentle, I can take criticism,

smoking.jpeg
basted.png

In pan.jpeg

Looks great. Awwww, chicken skin, the holy grail of bbq. All I can say is finish with higher temps to crisp the skin. Otherwise make good tasting food that you don’t mind chewing on. Nice maiden voyage with the offset, I think you did good.

Brining the chicken will help a bunch with the skin also.

Reactions: JLinza
Looks good, and the guys above are right about the skin. There are tricks with baking soda and such, but it's almost more of a hassle when you could just crank the heat up and crisp that skin right up. Chicken skin can be a little b!%*@ lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky