Burgers made indoors have no right being this good.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geostriata

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 18, 2021
California
Hey all. I'm sure when it comes to burgers, you all know your stuff. For me, I've never really felt solid with my burgers until today. Just thought I'd let you all know, in case there's anyone like me who's either lazy and wants a burger in a couple mins, or wants to try a simple new recipe.

Basically, it's pretty simple:
  1. Slice onions as thin as humanly possible. You should see through them.
  2. Round ball of ground beef. Salt + Lawry's seasoning. Sprinkle onions on top.
  3. Wax paper on top (for those of use without his technique) so it doesn't stick, smash down hard (I used bacon press)
  4. Flip once onions singe. Add cheese on top and wait about a min.
From this video, about 4.5mins in:

1712954421878.png

These are great on th Blackstone griddle too. Essentially Oklahoma onion burgers
I google "Oklahoma onion burger" and the same guy pops up, lol.

Thanks for the griddle recommendation! I haven't liked any I bought so far, so I just used a cast iron. The Blackstone looks really good!

Man, the more I spend on these forums the more I spend :P

I love a burger it dont matter how its cooked. Smash burger, smoked burger, fat patty kettle burger, cast iron burger......Bring 'em on! Yours look great, I'd put away a couple easy!

Jim

Watching that video made me hungry for a burger. Haha
Have not used the griddle that came with my Grill Grill.
I think smash burgers will be the first thing I cook on it when I get the LPG to NG conversion done.

I love a burger it dont matter how its cooked. Smash burger, smoked burger, fat patty kettle burger, cast iron burger......Bring 'em on! Yours look great, I'd put away a couple easy!

Jim
Thanks! I was really surprised, because I wasn't expecting much. Even tried sous vide thick burgers with a torch sear at the end on cast iron, etc... Things like that. Not even as close to as good as this. I think what's nice about the smash method is that it's foolproof so that novice burger-makers like myself can easily put together a great burger. Or that's how it feels at least, which is why I wanted to share.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
I google "Oklahoma onion burger" and the same guy pops up, lol.

Thanks for the griddle recommendation! I haven't liked any I bought so far, so I just used a cast iron. The Blackstone looks really good!

Man, the more I spend on these forums the more I spend :P

Ha that's a fact!! We all do

Burgers looks good . cast iron skillets are great for this , and steaks . Blackstone / F;at top is even better .

You ever worry about scratching it? Like I saw the video of the smash burgers and the guy was literally sharpening his spatula.

Similarly, I found that when I used the cast iron, I worried about damaging it (or damaging the seasoning) when I try to scrape off the last burger's residue.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky