You never realize how leaky your smoker is until...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You know what Charlie, all my smokers except my MES leak smoke like a sieve.

But it never seems to hurt anything, they all hold the temps well & I have plenty of smoke flavor.

So I really have never worried about it.

Al

You know what Charlie, all my smokers except my MES leak smoke like a sieve.

But it never seems to hurt anything, they all hold the temps well & I have plenty of smoke flavor.

So I really have never worried about it.

Al
Actually, when I have the exhaust open, as it should be, I don't have any issues.  

Last night I was doing an experiment and thought this pic would start it off.

Preliminary results later today, with final results in a few days.

Based on my limited years of training on hydraulics,etc., I seem to remember that in a closed system (the exhaust sealed off) the smoke/pressure will find the weakest link/leak no matter what the system/setup is.  I would think if there is no smoke coming from these places while the exhaust is not sealed then there really isn't an issue to worry about.

While there never seems to be an end of tweaking any system, except where SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) or the wallet is concerned.  I added the DigiQ system to my WSM just before Christmas and it works great.  Then I thought about installing Nomex seals on my WSM to make it work better (always "better").  After sealing the door/center section area on the outside I had enough left to line the bottom opening for the door (on the inside).  It still isn't completely sealed as there are still dime-sized slots on each side (where the door rests on the middle section). They're so small that I'm not going to worry about it.

I smoked last week and, IMO, it took at least 1 hour off of my cooking time on 3 (20# of) butts.

My GOSM leaks like a sieve! Never been an issue. But it's a propane smoker so controlling temps isn't that big of a deal.

When using a solid fuel smoker like the WSM or UDS I like the smoker to seal well so that fire management is easy and efficiency is increased.

Of course we all know having good airflow is best to prevent stale smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky