Yet another turkey smoking question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ca2tx

Original poster
May 14, 2014
I am somewhat new to the MES smoker and I will be smoking a dry brined Turkey tomorrow morning. My question is should I use liquid in the water tray? And if so what should i use? Water, Apple Juice, Beer? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I usually put half water half apple juice in my tray. I coat the skin with olive oil and that makes it nice and crispy and it browns evenly.

The MES does not get hot enough to give crisp skin and moisture from liquid in the pan makes it worse. For crisp skin, pull the bird out when the IT hits 150 and finish cooking in a 425 degree Oven to 165.

The amount of flavor molecules that escape from a pan of Whatever that actually contact and contribute flavor the meat can not even be tasted, by a SUPER taster with the sense of smell distinguishing Parts per Million, over the Smoke, Rub, Brine and/or Sauce we use on smoked meat. Drink the Beer, Wine, Bourbon or Apple Juice, you would put in the pan, WITH the meat and actually taste it. Anything you add to the pan is a waste of money...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky