Wood Chunks $$

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Might depend on what you're looking for. Home Depot and Lowes has Hickory and Mesquite in both chips and chunks.I only do chunks in my GOSM. Seems to run about a buck-a-pound on the open market. This place is pretty good:
http://www.smokinlicious.com/index.php?home

Stay away from what they sell on Amazon. Any wood in your area that bears either a fruit or nut will work; and it'll be cheap as long as it's seasoned properly.

That is all Lowe's & Home Depot have in my area. Menards has a good selection & I find the Ace hardware has even more.

Also check with tree trimming services and any orchards in the area, many will let the wood go for very cheap, but you may have to cut it into chunks yourself if that is what you are wanting. Some have been known to trade ribs for wood
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif
......talk to them and play "let's make a deal". Trading the meat for wood makes everyone happy.

Get me tix for the Wings Leafs game and I'll toss in a face cord of cherry!
Seriously, try driving into the country and finding firewood... oak, maple, fruit, nut... maybe 50 bux a face cord. Face cord = 2 foot logs x 4 foot high, x 8 foot long LOTS of wood...

They kill PETS in orchards? heh... I'd imagine even if they do, they are short lived these days. They can hardly market anything that'll kill a bug any more. But wise to ask. Shun the wood? maybe just a pre-burn? We need a chemist/smokin' guy here... Hmmm

I never buy chunks anymore. I just order a load of Oak and Hickory wood, drag out the old chain saw and cut them into slices. I cut them about 1 1/2 inches thick then use my axe to quarter them.  Make them as thick or thin as you want.

b342b883_woodchunks.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky