Will a Lang offset run like a WSM using charcoal?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wahoowad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Virginia
I’ve used a Weber WSM for years and like how I can usually get a brisket or butts done using one load of charcoal. I’m interested in a new smoker like a Lang 36” offset patio cooker or maybe a Meadow Creek SQ36 offset. I want something where I can lift open the lid and have the meat on a shelf in front of me. The WSM requires me to lift a top grate if I want to get to the bottom grate, and in general just tired of dealing with the sections.

In other posts I’ve made researching a new smoker people always warned against uninsulated coolers and said they would burn thru charcoal too fast. What about these heavier gauge units like the Lang or Meadow Creek offsets? I’m looking to use charcoal most the time, maybe occasionally doing a standard stick burner cook.

Thoughts?

I have used lump in my rf smoker and it works fine. You will have to learn the amounts to use but it will work.

I rarely use the bottom grate on the bottom level in my WSM. About the only time I do is when I'm smoking a turkey hot n fast on the top grate. I'll put a big roasting pan full of veggies on the bottom rack. The turkey usually finishes before the veggies.

Now, I have done the following with more than just jerky. You could easily use 3 bricks for better stability, but two is fine. I've done ribs like this and wouldn't hesitate to do two briskets. The bottom rack goes on the bricks. It is slightly smaller than the top rack. The lid fits on nicely.

I took that pic last year. Those bricks are black now. They are not fire bricks. They are cement bricks from Home Depot, like 50 cents a piece.

02- Reading to unload.JPG

If you buy a quality product like one of the Lang's, you will not need an insulated fire box. The quality smokers use a much thicker steel with a lot of thermal mass. This helps keep the temperature constant and enables it to cook in cold weather.

You will definitely use more charcoal than your WSM as it takes more energy to heat up all that steel. It will take a few test runs to figure out how much charcoal initially and how much to add to keep your target temps, but it will work just fine.

If you start using a stick burner, you probably should consider burning sticks for your heat and your smoke generation. if you cannot find a good wood supplier, you can get small splits of wood at Walmart or home depot etc. its not super cheap that way but it works. its better if you can find a good supplier of like a lawn service or some such.

A Lang smoker is a very quality smoker and does stay hot for a long time once its up to temp. If you open the lid you will lose some heat but it will recover very quickly from there. unless you are smoking in 20 below weather you should be fine. the wind can make your wood and fire burn hotter and faster though but you can regulate that with the dampers. Fell free to PM me if you have further questions about Lang smokers. i am on my second one and i love her!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Charcoal will work, but Just plan on using quite a bit of charcoal.
Wood splits will give you the best flavor. But you have to add a split about every 30 minutes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky