Wild caught Rock fish at Costco

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
I've never eaten Rockfish but the internet says it's mild flavored flaky white meat.
My wife won't eat any "fishy" tasting or smelling fish these days and I hate to waste money on garbage can filler meals.
What say you as to desirability of Rock Fish?
How does it compare say to channel cat or brim?

Reactions: JLeonard
When you say rockfish are you referring to striped bass?

If it's striper you're referring to I find it meh.

If it is rockfish from the pacific northwest, it is some pretty good firm mild white fish - nothing at all like mackerel which is the fish I think of when people say "fishy tasting / smelling" - though I do love mackerel too.

[edit] Yes, the meat may have a tinge of red-ish.

Last edited:
When you say rockfish are you referring to striped bass?

If it's striper you're referring to I find it meh.
I am not a fan of saltwater Striped bass but catching them sure is fun. Yes ignore my neighbor in the yellow.
IMG_0957.jpg

Are we referring to rock cod fish? If so, I have a stand up freezer in the garage full of it that the wife and I caught and yes...eat

Rock cod taco's, Rock cod chowder.....OMG

I have not found a way to make bluefish taste even close to edible.
Bleed them (or filet them) the second you bring it in the boat, then put the fish or filets in a ziploc full of seawater - yes, seawater - then bury it in ice. 24-hours later you will be surprised. Still not a blackfish or a winter flounder, but real darned good broiled!

[edit] Be sure to cut away all of the dark red flesh before cooking - and best would be to filet immediately, remove the red flesh, and then into the brine / ice...

I love em!

Last edited:
Reactions: clifish
I've never eaten Rockfish but the internet says it's mild flavored flaky white meat.
My wife won't eat any "fishy" tasting or smelling fish these days and I hate to waste money on garbage can filler meals.
What say you as to desirability of Rock Fish?
How does it compare say to channel cat or brim?
Can’t say what Costco’s “rockfish” is but the chilean sea bass i bought there earlier this week was very good.

There are many species of fish that fall under the ‘Rockfish’ moniker. The Rockfish we catch on the BC coast are mild, white and forgiving to cook. They make excellent fish tacos

Reactions: Retired Spook
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky