Whats your take on making bacon like this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would never make bacon without cure #1.
The risk you take is way to high.
But that's just me, there are a lot of unsafe recipes on the internet.
Anybody can write anything they want & say it's true.
Hopefully, Chef Jimmy J or DaveOmak will see this & comment.
They are the ones who would know if this is safe.
Al

I've used this method before making lardo. I hung it in an old fridge on the warmest setting instead of in the kitchen. Wifey wasn't to keen on that idea. The final product didn't make anyone sick but I wouldn't do it again because just salt doesn't guarantee it's safe to eat and even with rinsing it was so salty it was practically inedible. I stick with the cure.

I make bacon all the time with cure and have really enjoyed it. Just came across this read the other day and wasn't for sure how it would be deemed "safe." Especially where they mention room temp storage for months....

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...etta-steccata-and-pancetta-arrotolata.187288/

May I suggest the above recipe to achieve the results and be food safe... Evan Brady does this for a living and follows USDA laws to insure his product is safe....

Above is a centuries old dried pig belly recipe that has all the new modern conveniences to insure it is safe to eat.. probably tastes better than plain salt cure and it is definitely safe to feed your children...

Below is a source for drying meats, etc. you might think about looking at in place of someone's blog...

9780393240054_p0_v5_s550x406.jpg

This is essentially the old Salt Box method where any leaching liquid is removed and so much salt is applied that there is just no water for bacteria to live on. Even the moisture in the bacteria cells are sucked out killing them. Only possible issue is any spores and hanging the salty meat in fresh moving air eliminates any chance of them growing. After the 10 to 14 days in salt and sugar, the Bacon can be cold smoked,as above, it is so salty and the the available moisture is greatly reduced so with an airy well ventilated smoker, you are just starting the additional drying that hanging in the kitchen accomplishes. The USDA allows the manufacture of bacon at 10% salt by weight. This recipe calls for one belly, let's say 11 pounds, and 6 Cups of Coarse Sea Salt. At 9.44 oz per cup X 6 = 56.64 oz / 16 = 3.54 Pounds of salt / 11 lb belly = 32.2% Salt by weight! 3 times what the USDA approves of. Maybe there are errors in the recipe or these folks REALLY like salty bacon but it can be made safely without Cure #1, I just don't think I would want too. This is. The second thread on " Is this Farmstead Meatsmith no cure bacon recipe safe? " It seem that these guys are teaching their saltbox method but the various blogs and YouTube videos are getting different info on how to do it...JJ

I've done this a few times. Is basically a speck. A few observations:
- after curing and drying at room temp can be eaten raw...if you like salty chewy meat
- will taste good but won't taste like bacon
(Cure gives the bacon taste)
- when frying it will be too salty...you need to soak it before
- the outter meat layer will be very dry after two weeks in salt; when cooked it will turn black (or very dark) while the inside layer will have lighter colour.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky