what cut for sliced beef sandwhich

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wisconsinjosh

Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Oxford, Wisconsin
I had an amazing beef sandwhich about a month ago and was wondering what cut would work best for smoking. There wasn't any fat and it was amazingly tender. any suggestions. Thanks

There are many cuts that work great....top sirloin, sirloin tip, top round, bottom round.......

Here are some really good ideas and methods:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/se...=lastupdate&resultSortingPreference=relevance

I see this is your first post here, when you get a minute would you do us a favor and go to Roll Call and introduce yourself so we can get to know you and give you a proper welcome, also would you add your location to your profile, we like knowing where you are when we talk to you, Thanks!

I have used inside round, eye round, top round, bottom round and trimmed brisket. Make sure you have a decent amount of marbling. Always cut across the grain and keep it thin! You can slightly freeze the meat to firm it up just before cutting.

I am sure there are some meat experts out there. I am very courious to see what they say. Always learning something new........

Josh, if it was smaller round slices, or, smaller oval slices, it likely was eye of round, sliced across the grain, or on the bias, respectively. Either way, it produces very tender slices with virtually no connective tissue or fat. Otherwise, if larger slices, it could have been nearly any of the cuts mentioned above, lean trimmed. Eye of round will set you back some extra coin, so if that's your poison for replication of what you ate, be prepared...just don't want you to suffer any shock during your quest...LOL!!!

Welcome to the SMF family!

Eric

Last edited:
Thanks Guys for your help. I know that I am staying away from Briskit as I have spent lots of money and haven't been very excited about the results. Pork anything has been great but would like learn beef. I will have to go to the meat market very soon

Thanks Guys for your help. I know that I am staying away from Briskit as I have spent lots of money and haven't been very excited about the results. Pork anything has been great but would like learn beef. I will have to go to the meat market very soon
Brisket is a whole nuther story...it benefits from low & slow cooking for tenderization and also higher finished temps (well done), as opposed to the many already tender cuts of beef which we like to finish in the rare to med-rare temps. Brisket carries a vary different flavor than many other cuts of beef due it's high concentration of connective tissues, coupled with the fat layer (fat-cap)...it has what many would say (myself included), a unique flavor...strong, in a good way.

To me, brisket is the king of smoked beef, for it's flavor and versatility. I routinely explore the various products that the brisket can allow you to create. If you would like to venture into brisket, do so when you are armed with the knowledge and experience of others here. My first smoked brisket was a disappointment to me, and I swore I'd never smoke one again. I just did not have the knowledge I needed to turn out a decent smoked brisket. 8 or so months later, I had a better idea what methods to use as well as the confidence to try it again, and since then, I've been in brisket heaven every time I've smoked one.

There are tons of posts on brisket here and I've outlined various methods and tips in multiple posts. Brisket has turned into one of my all-time favorite cuts of beef for the smoker. Check my signature line for packers, burnt ends (BEs), etc.

Don't hesitate to fire away with any questions you have on various cuts and species, or methods to prepare them...we're all here to learn and help each other achieve a common goal, being great eats from the smoker.

Don't give up on the brisket...it can give you amazing results on the dinner plate.

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky