Wet brine time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
What is the longest you can leave filets in a wet brine?

I caught two 20 plus pound Chinooks yesterday, and want to experiment.

used a modified Pops Brine.

1 gal of water
1 tbsp cure #1
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp sea salt
1 cup Dale's marinade
1 tsp garlic powder

the thickest filets are 3 inches.

Does fish cure faster or slower than meat?

Want it cured so I can cold smoke, then bring to temperature.

Appreciate any tips.

Well Ace... I'm not going to pretend to know a definite answer for you but I can give you my opinion. First of all... Congrats on your 'nookies! Those should be tasty for sure. I don't wet brine salmon anymore but prefer dry brines particularly for smoked salmon. And when I do it only takes an "overnight" to get the flavor I want, and I am smoking to internal temps. When I have gone longer than 2 days I found the balance was off and the brown sugar and saltiness took over the fish. Wet brining should be no different. I don't think there would be any harm or a safety issue for going longer- even for several weeks- in that brine, but I will venture to say the flavors and quality you are expecting will likely be less than desired.

Generally speaking- and for most other meats the penetration rate for brine is about 5 to 7 days per inch of thickness. My experience leads me to believe fish requires something less than this rate but I have never seen a different rate rule for fish.

Having said all of this... Since you said you are going to "bring to temperature", your margins of safety are well within kosher.

Well Ace... I'm not going to pretend to know a definite answer for you but I can give you my opinion. First of all... Congrats on your 'nookies! Those should be tasty for sure. I don't wet brine salmon anymore but prefer dry brines particularly for smoked salmon. And when I do it only takes an "overnight" to get the flavor I want, and I am smoking to internal temps. When I have gone longer than 2 days I found the balance was off and the brown sugar and saltiness took over the fish. Wet brining should be no different. I don't think there would be any harm or a safety issue for going longer- even for several weeks- in that brine, but I will venture to say the flavors and quality you are expecting will likely be less than desired.

Generally speaking- and for most other meats the penetration rate for brine is about 5 to 7 days per inch of thickness. My experience leads me to believe fish requires something less than this rate but I have never seen a different rate rule for fish.

Having said all of this... Since you said you are going to "bring to temperature", your margins of safety are well within kosher.

Appreciate the feedback.
Thanks for the quick response

If it's a pure cure question you're asking then assume the following formula

Cure will generally penetrate flesh at a rate of 1/4" per 24 hours. Adding a day or two is usually in your best interest. Best to be a bit over than a bit under.

So if you have some 3" filets that you don't plan on injecting then that would be 12 days. HOWEVER, I don't know if there is a quicker rate of absorbtion in the less dense muscle fiber of fish, especially wild caught.

That's something that someone smarter will have to chime in on

If it's a pure cure question you're asking then assume the following formula

Cure will generally penetrate flesh at a rate of 1/4" per 24 hours. Adding a day or two is usually in your best interest. Best to be a bit over than a bit under.

So if you have some 3" filets that you don't plan on injecting then that would be 12 days. HOWEVER, I don't know if there is a quicker rate of absorbtion in the less dense muscle fiber of fish, especially wild caught.

That's something that someone smarter will have to chime in on

Thanks.

was interested if fish curing times differed from animal.

Also, wonder how a long cure affects the texture of fish....

I've seen so many recipes for cold smoking fish without the use of cure #1 that I'm thoroughly confused.

Don't feel guilty about that. You are not alone. Its been done for centuries without using cure. But apparently the bylaws here on SMF require only strict adherence to USDA guidelines.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky