Wes Owrey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wesowrey

Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
Just bought a Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker. Going to try it out with some spare ribs on Labor Day. wth

I have been cooking Rib, Butts, Chicken on an open brick pit for more tha 20 years. It takes me two days with my method, but I would put them up against best!

I hope to get some help with this smoker since it is completely different than what I am used to. :grilling_smilie::grilling_smilie:

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum from a sunny, breezy and pretty darn nice day here in East Texas, and the best site on           the web.   Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Morning Wes. Welcome to the forum.

I'm a MES 30 owner. I love it. But there a few things you should know about them. So here's a bit of advice.

--Except when preheating ALWAYS leave the top vent wide open to ensure good draft. Ignore any ideas or suggestions about 1/4 or 1/2 etc closed. You do not want stale smoke on your meat.
--DO NOT use the water bowl. Fill it with sand to use as a heat sink and foil it over or just foil it and use ut as a drip pan. A MES is so air tight that if you add water you'll get some bad condensation inside that will drip on your food. The MES will keep your food moist all by itself.
--DON'T trust any thermometer or temp guage that comes with your MES. They're notorious for inaccuracy. Get a good digital therm.
--I found the chip tray works fine but you constantly have to refill it. It also simply doesnt work well at low temps. Your best bet IMO is to get an AMNPS (pellet tray) for smoke and add a Mailbox Mod. They're cheap and work extremely well for both hot and cold smoking. Lots of info on both of these--just use the search feature here. I still use the chip tray when I'm lucky enough to get some wood not available in pellets. BTW putting pellets in the chip tray will just cause them to burn up as fast as chips. If you do use pellets be sure to check the wood content. Todd at Amazen (he's a member/sponsor here and invented the AMNPS) sells pellets that contain 100% of the smoking wood rather that using cheap wood as a filler.
--once you start cooking, leave the door shut as much as possible. A MES cools off real fast when you open the door. "Lookin ain't cookin".
--if at all possible don't use an extension cord to plug the MES in. If you must then make sure it's heavy guage or you wont get enough power to run the heat element efficiently.

I'm pretty sure others can add to this list and will.

Final thought. IMO you bought a great smoker and will in all probability love it.

Gary

Thank you for the information. I am doing a test run at this time. I am using apple chips and apple juice in the pan, sine I didn't read your message till I'm half done. I will post how they are later.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky