Weber Kettle Zone Cooking System?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bummed

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
South Alabama
Ran across this today and wanted to get the seasoned kettle users what you think about this 'Kettle Zone Cooking System'. I am not affiliated with this in any way but though this was a great idea. It's up on kickstarter to get in early.

I have thought about doing something like this by simply suspending a cast iron pizza pan under the grill grate.

I think that it's a sound idea but also think that the cast iron pizza pan would be more durable and I also think that it could be cobbled together for less than the $50 + pledge. (The $50.00 pledge, obviously, has no guarantee that you will wind up with one for that price)

Granted; You don't get the nice new grate, and stone suspension rack, but I would start with a new Weber grate anyway. The stone pieces may well be a better heat sink than a cast iron pizza pan, but I'm not sure that you would benefit a whole lot from that.

My idea is to suspend the CI pan under the grill grate with a combination of appropriate length bolts and fender washers. You may, obviously, need to bore holes through the pizza pan.

Put a couple of fire bricks on the outside of the charcoal grate, load the charcoal grate with cold charcoal and wood no wider than the end of the CI pan, add a few hot briquettes, put the CI pan on the bricks, add the grill grate with the ends that tilt up to add more charcoal Might work. Going to have to try it.

Put a couple of fire bricks on the outside of the charcoal grate, load the charcoal grate with cold charcoal and wood no wider than the end of the CI pan, add a few hot briquettes, put the CI pan on the bricks, add the grill grate with the ends that tilt up to add more charcoal Might work. Going to have to try it.

Good idea. This might be a better idea than suspending the pan from the grate, which was bound to become cumbersome, at least. Seems like, with careful placement of the support bricks, you could still utilize the "snake" charcoal method, too.

In my 18" Kettle, may it RIP, I used to use line up firebricks off to one side, put a charcoal basket behind them, add the cold charcoal/wood, a few hot briquettes, and smoke like that. With the tilt-up grate, I could reload charcoal as needed. It worked basically the same as my Smokenator in the 22". The firebricks have since disappeared (a mystery never solved), but I actually liked smoking that way in the Kettle.

I have thought about doing something like this by simply suspending a cast iron pizza pan under the grill grate.

I think that it's a sound idea but also think that the cast iron pizza pan would be more durable and I also think that it could be cobbled together for less than the $50 + pledge. (The $50.00 pledge, obviously, has no guarantee that you will wind up with one for that price)

Granted; You don't get the nice new grate, and stone suspension rack, but I would start with a new Weber grate anyway. The stone pieces may well be a better heat sink than a cast iron pizza pan, but I'm not sure that you would benefit a whole lot from that.

My idea is to suspend the CI pan under the grill grate with a combination of appropriate length bolts and fender washers. You may, obviously, need to bore holes through the pizza pan.

I like that idea, I have an old Char-Broil Kettleman grate that I can use to suspend a round cast iron pizza pan with and then put a grate on top of that.

I didn't know that about Kickstarter, glad I didn't pledge.

Thanks

In my 18" Kettle, may it RIP, I used to use line up firebricks off to one side, put a charcoal basket behind them, add the cold charcoal/wood, a few hot briquettes, and smoke like that. With the tilt-up grate, I could reload charcoal as needed. It worked basically the same as my Smokenator in the 22". The firebricks have since disappeared (a mystery never solved), but I actually liked smoking that way in the Kettle.

I use that type set-up quite often in my kettle. I didn't have access to fire brick and used regular brick, (I do know about moisture saturation and the possibility of exploding brick, but my brick had been in dry storage for quite a while. They have worked fine for 5 or 6 years.) I use the snake for low and slow in the kettle and the bricks for higher heat cooks.

Flame is Hickory chunk.

X3xVUTA.jpg

MgKMfMO.jpg

I like that idea, I have an old Char-Broil Kettleman grate that I can use to suspend a round cast iron pizza pan with and then put a grate on top of that.

I didn't know that about Kickstarter, glad I didn't pledge.

Thanks

Your welcome. I'm not much of a gambler and so avoid "kickstart" deals, usually.

For clarity; I was thinking to simply suspend the pizza pan under the Weber grill grate but, it would be more convenient to have an additional grate, for your food, above the grate holding the pizza pan.

Post some pics when you get it together.

Hey Bummed,

Thanks for the pictures. I've been out of town for the weekend. Just now catching up.

As long as your coals are under the CI pan, your golden.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky