Webber Kettle 22 dirty smoke problems?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kuniyosh

Original poster
May 2, 2023
I have been using the kettle primarily for wings and am getting good results but I think I am getting alot of bad smoke early on. I have had some sessions when there is just a wisp of blue smoke and it’s perfect.

Lately though I am getting heavy smoke from the wood when added to the coals. Using the vortex I have tried putting a small lump of apple wood in the middle I’ve the coals but on the grate which reduces smoke. I just cannot seem to avoid issues where there is a lot of smoke once wood is added.

Bad wood? Damp? (Kept in a shed in a sealed bag) I just cannot work it out. Need some help.

Reactions: JLeonard
IMG_3346.jpeg
should be zero issues like this.

How are you lighting the charcoal? In a chimney then dumping it in or lighting it in the vortex? And when using the vortex. You have both dampers wide open? Putting it on the grates above doesn’t reduce the smoke at all. It just burns it slower… rule of thumb if you smell smoke, the food is taking the smoke flavor

Never had what I would call bad smoke, I wouldn't put a whole lot of worrying into the bad smoke fad. good wood good temps has always worked for me, heavy hickory for long runs can be bitter, short periods of heavy smoke when adding it wont affect it as much, store bought wood has been kiln dried so looses some of it's punch, knowing your smoker and the wood you burn means a lot.

Do you have a way to preheat the wood when the initial smoke won’t be exposed to the food? That way the initial ‘bad smoke’ won’t affect the taste.

How are you lighting the charcoal? In a chimney then dumping it in or lighting it in the vortex? And when using the vortex. You have both dampers wide open? Putting it on the grates above doesn’t reduce the smoke at all. It just burns it slower… rule of thumb if you smell smoke, the food is taking the smoke flavor
Light charcoal in a chimney and then add the small amount to the vortex. Wood is added on top.

When smoking wings I run the base vents on smoke setting and the top wide open. If I do not do this the temps shoot up to 400f. I will do this for the last 20 minutes to crisp the skin.

When I use the vortex all vents are wide open. It’s designed to give you high heat. It your looking to slowly cook wings id suggest looking up the “snake method”. But with the vortex and a chunk of wood on top, the wings will pick up enough smoke flavor in the 40 ish minutes it takes to cook them and you’ll have crispy skin everytime

I don't use a vortex , so I was staying out of that , but I agree with vents wide open .
I use my Performer for high temp cooking . Not sure what color that is , but it smells like beef and mesquite .
lid.jpg
I use the 26 for lower temp , long smokes . Even though I use a drip pan it still needs some high heat to get rid of grease vapor that condensates inside . Maybe you should start with a high heat burn out , and open the bottom vents and see if it improves .
20191205_170002.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use a vortex , so I was staying out of that , but I agree with vents wide open .
I use my Performer for high temp cooking . Not sure what color that is , but it smells like beef and mesquite .
View attachment 671284
I use the 26 high lower temp , long smokes . Even though I use a drip pan it still needs some high heat to get rid of grease vapor that condensates inside . Maybe you should start with a high heat burn out , and open the bottom vents and see if it improves .
View attachment 671283
Now I have to find some wings, it has been too long since I fired up the kettle.

been too long since I fired up the kettle.
You and me both . I bought that SmokeFire in July of 2021 , and it's spoiled me .
I have a couple of Sierra steaks dry brining that are going over some mesquite and oak coals about 6 or so hours from now .
I probably should lift the lid on the Performer to see what might be in there . Lol .

Not sure what color that is , but it smells like beef and mesquite .
Looks like it has a blue tint to me Rich.

Even though I use a drip pan it still needs some high heat to get rid of grease vapor that condensates inside . Maybe you should start with a high heat burn out , and open the bottom vents and see if it improves .
I did that by accident on my last cook. I forgot to clean out the bacon grease after I made the BLTs. Once I poured the lit chracoal in the Vortex poof. Instint fire-pit.

I also vote for the vents wide open when using the Vortex. Start the coals in a chimney. When the bottom coals are ashed over and the top coals are starting to turn white dump it in. Give it minute or two with the lid on. Then take the lid off clean you cooking grates and add food.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
I did that by accident on my last cook. I forgot to clean out the bacon grease
If you cook a lot on a kettle it has happened . I had an 18 that I did a lot of low and slow on way back in my 20's . One day black smoke was pouring out of the lid vent . Then it got dark and thick . I lifted the lid and the oxygen ignited the grease . Blew the lid out of my hand and into the yard .
Of course I acted like I wanted that to happen , and never flinched . Lol . You know , just in case someone was watching .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky