Tri tip steaks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My first first experience with TT was terrible 😫.

Then, thanks to the info I discovered here at SMF, I realized it was MY fault.
They are extremely tender with a very beefy flavor but should not be taken above 130° IT or so. Also they must be sliced correctly or you will have a very tough chew. Believe me...I wasted a nice piece of beef 🤣.
Someone here, I believe Dan forktender forktender posted a proper slicing pic and have it printed and still use it with every TT cook.
This is due to the grain turning in the specific cut.

My favorite method is to smoke the TT like a brisket. Take them to 200°IT or probe tender and they are melt in the mouth. But still.must be sliced as the diagram.

Either way, when done correct, you will be pleasantly pleased and rewarded with a great meal !

Go for it Chas!

Keith

I love a tri-tip roast. It's one of my favourite cuts and now me and my fiance's Christmas dinner every year.

As a steak? Personally I wouldn't bother unless you're willing to put in the effort. It's like a cross-rib roast - you have the grain going in multiple directions. Works for a roast, but I wouldn't buy a cross-rib steak either 🤣

It needs to be sliced properly or it's pretty much garbage. That's easier on a roast (serve it family style) than a steak when everyone cuts their own. Although if you go with the brisket method 912 suggested that would be more forgiving.

It has a wonderful flavour. Blade and TT are my two favourite cuts. Just easy to get wrong.

Basically two ways with Tri-tips. Med-rare or all the way like a brisket. Personally, I go with a reverse sear. Smoking them to approx 120º, pull and let rest to stop the cooking action then place on a very hot grill to sear both sides and increase the IT to 132º ish. Pull and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and the IT should rise a couple of degrees to ~135º. We find that a final IT of 130º is a bit too much on the rare side for us.

Here is a view that I believe clifish clifish provided a while back on how to approach the slicing when done.
1708272206794.png

Last edited:
Basically two ways with Tri-tips. Med-rare or all the way like a brisket. Personally, I go with a reverse sear. Smoking them to approx 120º, pull and let rest to stop the cooking action then place on a very hot grill to sear both sides and increase the IT to 132º ish. Pull and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and the IT should rise a couple of degrees to ~135º. We find that a final IT of 130º is a bit too much on the rare side for us.

Here is a view that I believe clifish clifish provided a while back on how to approach the slicing when done.
View attachment 689046
I am sure I stole it from a post here at some point in the past.

Reactions: schlotz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky