to brine or not to brine turkey..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbfromtennessee

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 14, 2014
dadgummit, the more i search for a answer to my question the more i get confused. my question is do you brine a premium butterball turkey or not?? i have read it both ways..

Personal preference I guess. Your Butterball is most likely already "enhanced". In that case you may not find a benefit in brining again unless you are looking for some other flavor profile of spices etc. That's exactly what I am doing with a butterball this year. I couldn't find any "non-enhanced" ones anyway.

the label does say up to 8% water, salt, spices etc added. i guess the up to part could mean 1% up to 8%. kinda confusing. i wish i could have found a non enhanced so i could start from scratch..

Turkey is cheap! Leftovers are so versatile too! Just keep looking. I have found them at natural food stores (organic premium) as well as discount grocery store. We call it the "used food store". Lol!

This old chestnut. The 8% is mostly WATER not salt... Look at the sodium content and extrapolate. It will be nowhere near optimum. Enhanced birds are definitely worth brining. Brine away!

Reactions: smoking gun
It works fine either way since most turkeys are 'enhanced' anyway. It depends on my energy level if I want to brine or just use a SPG rub. Both are very good.

I find carefully watching the temp of an enhanced bird produces good results (do not overcook)...HOWEVER...I personally think a brined bird is much more flavorful.

I think that years ago, Butterballs were the only ones that were "enhanced", that's why they commanded a higher price than other birds. But now even store brand turkeys have it, and it does seem to get much more difficult to find one that isn't already messed with. Maybe check out birds that say "Natural"?

4oz Butterball Turkey 200mg sodium
4oz of Boar's Head Ovengold Roasted (lower sodium) 720mg and this is pretty average for deli turkey

I prefer mine in the middle.

No need to brine a Butterball, but a good injection of Tony C's Cajun butter will kick it up a notch!
Al

I'm with Al. I know the boneless roast i have is butterball enhanced so it has some brining to it. (water and salt) I'm going to inject some creole style tony c's butter in it and smoke it. (we go small on turkey because my family likes Ham mostly).

Happy Smoking (and Happy Thanksgiving)
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky