Thoughts, recommendations and suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Darrell Powell

Original poster
Nov 27, 2017
Afternoon
C own Oklahoma Joes grill/smoker (15 to 18 yrs old). Can’t buy anything for it anymore as far as parts. Had racks custome made for replacement madd years ago and need to do again. Have a Masterbuikt electric smoker( rusting around the bottom). So thought is to replace both with possibly a pellet smoker. It’s just me and occasionally my son(college) so I don’t need anything real big. Looking at 500 to 700 range. Have looked at PitBoss and a few others. I know that it’s needs auto feed and a good temperature control. WIFi or not makes no difference to me.
So what are good choices and options for what I am thinking? Are my thought reasonable or should I go a different way? What to look for and what to stay away from. Thanks

Your going to find a wide variety of responses to this question. Everyone has different favorites. I personally like the Gravity fed charcoal units. to me it is as simple as a pellet feed and once again just my opinion but you can't beat the flavor and smoke comparing to a pellet fed.

Reactions: SKade
Your going to find a wide variety of responses to this question. Everyone has different favorites. I personally like the Gravity fed charcoal units. to me it is as simple as a pellet feed and once again just my opinion but you can't beat the flavor and smoke comparing to a pellet fed.
My obvious question would be what brand or brands would you recommend. Haven’t thought about that one and will do some research

Reactions: PPG1
Grilla grills has a couple of great grills in that price range. The Silverbac and the Kong OG.

I agree. I have a Masterbuilt 560 and I think it’s just what your looking for. Nice size and so easy to use. Such great flavor from the charcoal and wood.

Reactions: 912smoker
I agree. I have a Masterbuilt 560 and I think it’s just what your looking for. Nice size and so easy to use. Such great flavor from the charcoal and wood.
I just looked at this while at The Home Depot. Looks interesting but the build quality of the lid and barrel seems sketchy. Not sure of longevity. Other than that, I'm intrigued.

I have a Pit Boss 1000SC, similar to the Austin XL. I love it and good price. Although I am also getting intrigued by the gravity feed charcoal ones.

For welded together OK Joe smokers I second the notion to call Horizon and see if they can supply parts.

I also second the idea of Camp Chef Grills. Nice build quality and features for the price point. Plus good customer service.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky