The "BEST" Singer/Songwriter of ALL TIME.. Merle Haggard has left us

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
Sad to say.. But Merle died on his 79th birthday... I learned he had double pneumonia when he had to cancel a show at the Fl. Strawberry Festival that we were gonna go see....

Rest In Peace, Merle.. your legacy will live on FOREVER ...

Here's the latest from Merle and Willie ...

PS.. had to use the word "BEST" in the title since I read the thread on it....

RIP Merle, you'll be missed ! Thanks for sharing your gift with us for so many years !

Listened to him & other greats as a kid on the record player as my folks & grand folks played pinochle ! Great memories there ! [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

Reactions: grillard
The first music I remember clearly is Merle's live "Okie from Muskogee", the one with "Swinging Doors" and "Mama Tried" on it... 0n my dad's 8 track during road trips.

The Hag was who all the other country singers wanted to be when they grew up.

Reactions: seenred
Found out this afternoon after they played "If we make it through December" on the radio.  All I could think of was the George Jones song "Who's gonna fill their shoes?".  RIP Merle, you've earned it.
[/quote]

I agree with this.. was trying to watch CMA's (country music awards) the other night... every act that sang live I said WTH is this.. they call this country music ?? Sure isn't as good as it used to be ...

Well Merle was a great! I'm sorry to see him go. There is a hell of a band forming up there!

But the best? I don't know! There are to many to even try to list. Country ain't my thing but grew up with Merle. He was alright! I'd rather listen to Hank if I had my druthers.

I've been a fan of "The Hag" my whole life! The very first record I ever owned as a kid was a Merle Haggard compilation album called "Songs I'll Always Sing".

Seems like I remember reading that he had 38 number 1 singles on US country charts! He was a true country music legend. Unlike today's slick, pop-influenced crap that passes for country music, Merle Haggard was true and traditional country. His songs celebrated the working class, patriotism, and national pride. We could probably have quite a debate about which of his many hit songs were the best...but as far as I'm concerned, any list of the greatest country songs of all time would be incomplete without several of his works on the list.

I was blessed enough to see him live a couple of times...he wasn't into light shows or dancing around the stage...he stood at a mic in front of his band, The Strangers, and belted out song after song that was solid country gold!

A sad day for country music...he will be missed! Rest in Peace Merle!

Red

Reactions: grillard
Afraid this is the first I heard about The Hag dieing. Sad. Ruined my morning.

I've been a huge fan of his for most of my life. As Red said, his songs pretty much were about patriotism, and the common people--almost inspirational.

I was lucky enough to see him live once--he didn't get up here all that often. He put on a fantastic show, and sang so many songs that not even Scrooge could complain.

He will be sorely missed.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky