Sunday Smoke: Cilantro Lime Chicken and ABTs w/ qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
I smoked Cilantro Lime Chicken in the MES40 for supper tonight.  Mrs. Red and I really like this recipe, but we've never done it in the smoker before.  I've always cooked it on the grill in the past.  We liked it so much better from the MES, I doubt we'll ever do it on the grill again.  I also had 10-12 jalepenos in the crisper I needed to use before they went bad, so we whipped up some ABTs too.

The marinade for the chicken is a real easy recipe:

Marinade Recipe

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1/2 cup chopped cilantro

6 cloves minced garlic

1 Tbs. honey

1 Tbs. olive oil

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts went into a gallon ziplock with the marinade for 4-5 hours in the fridge.  While they were marinating, we put the ABTs together.

Mrs. Red wrapping bacon around the jalepenos.  The stuffing in the peppers:  cream cheese, shredded blend of cheddar jack, finely chopped onions, chopped cilantro, Lowery's seasoned salt, and pepper.

The ABTs all set for the smoker.

Gettin' the AMNPS ready.  I used hickory pellets this time.

The chicken and the ABTs just went in the MES. 

I started with the MES at 250*, then cranked it up to about 270* for most of the smoke.  It was cold and windy in NE Oklahoma today, so the MES had to work to keep temps steady.

About 2 1/2 hours later, the ABTs are ready to come out and go to the table.  I already pulled the chicken to rest a few minutes before dinner.  The breasts cooked to an IT of 170*.

While the chicken and ABTs were smokin', we made some fresh pico de gallo.  Mrs. Red also made up some fresh guacomole.

The plate presentation! 

Everything turned out great.  The Cilantro Lime Chicken was more moist and juicy than it ever was cooked on the grill.  The ABTs turned out real good too.  One of the sons came over for dinner, he ate about half the ABTs all by himself, and took all the leftovers home with him.  I guess he liked it.

Thanks for looking!

Red

Last edited:
BTW, Mrs. Red "pins" (I don't know what that means, exactly) all her recipes in her pinterest page.  Not really sure how to get to it, but she is kinda addicted to that site.  That's where she found the Cilantro Lime recipe.

Well , wherever she got it, it looks and sounds great
drool.gif
.   Speaking of Pico de Gallo , try making an extra amount. next time and save half. Marinade a Steak (of any kind) in this for 24hrs. and cook(whatever method you want).

Use the marinade itself then, to make a fantastic sauce , place in a saucepan and bring to a simmer for a couple of mins. and add to top of Steak.

I like to add a bit of cream to my sauce to get a richer taste. The ingredients in the Pico does wonders to Beef.

Later, and ...

Well , wherever she got it, it looks and sounds great
drool.gif
.   Speaking of Pico de Gallo , try making an extra amount. next time and save half. Marinade a Steak (of any kind) in this for 24hrs. and cook(whatever method you want).

Use the marinade itself then, to make a fantastic sauce , place in a saucepan and bring to a simmer for a couple of mins. and add to top of Steak.

I like to add a bit of cream to my sauce to get a richer taste. The ingredients in the Pico does wonders to Beef.

Later, and ...
I'm intrigued...that sounds great.  Thanks, Stan, I'll have to give that a try.  You don't add anything to the pico when heating other than the cream?

Nope, as long as you have a good Pico you like. I make mine when I do Fajitas and the marinade for them, so instead of wasting I put the leftover Chiles,Cilantro,Tomatoes, Onions(Gr.) , Garlic , Lime and some Cumin in my Salsa bowl and (Muddle) this just a bit. I like to use Serrano Chiles and add a pinch of sugar (cuz Mom did ).

The Chile heat is muted when you get finished cooking your Steak, you get the flavor but less heat .

Hope you like it , it's my go to for Strips and Bone-in Rib Steaks.
drool.gif

Have fun and...

I've never put Serranos in my Pico because the Mrs. can't take the heat.  I have to be careful about how many jalepenos I add for her.  I like the idea of Serranos, though, so I'll have to mix up a batch just for me, and then use some of it to marinate a couple of steaks.  If this turns out to be as good as it sounds, I'll owe ya one.

The Capsacin doesn't make it hot. The Enzymes in the meat and the heat of cooking seems to sweeten and mellow the Seranno nicely.

You could use a milder Chile and be just as well .

Just have fun and...

That recipe that you just did was fantastic I think I'm a go to Mrs. Reed Pinterest page and Pin it
I'm glad you liked it!  Enjoy!  BTW, it looks like this is your first post.  When you get a chance, be sure to post a thread in the Roll Call forum, to tell all the members a little about yourself and let everyone give you a proper SMF welcome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky