So let's talk knife sharpening...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Diamond stones for me. Windex or simple green. A calming routine for me now.
If you use a worksharp, dip the blade in water every pass. Finer blades generate more heat. You can damage the temper at the edge. Can be easily sharpened out, just fyi

When people say Work Sharp, are you talking the belted version or the guide rod version? I'm thinking of getting my son-in-law the guide rod version. It seems to take the hassel out of holding the correct angle while giving the benefit of stone sharpened knives.
Belted, the Ken Onion is the improved version.

Long time ago when I worked in the meat department at Winn Dixie, they used a Norton Tri-Stone. The manager taught me how to use it and I've had my own for many years.
View attachment 678306
Same thing we got … sharpen once a year and hit it with a steel when cuttin up deer and ur good to go… as long as I can shave paper really easily that’s sharp enough in my book

Reactions: YooperSmoker
getting into processing season,, just waiting for the temp to go down a little more.
my knives are shaped on a belt sander made for sharpening knives.
as I go I swipe the blade regularly on a diamond steel
I am a lefty so the cut resistant glove goes on the right hand

View attachment 678259

I like this 3 stage electric. Though, I usually just use the medium and fine stones now that I have my older knives sharpened. Couple passes. And they're good to go.
Steve I got my sharpener. Suppose to be a good one. Any tips before I try to use it?

20231019_155312.jpg

Oooh. I've been away from here a long time but since last i've gotten a Tormek T-4. Not only am i making my own knives razor sharp (no hair left on my left forearm), i'm also sharpening knives and axes for friends, relatives, neighbours...just for fun. A great steak deserves a sharp knife

Reactions: noboundaries
I use wet stones and many time the lansky, but I'm not super picky and just want it workable and done.

My butchering knife I hand made from a farriers rasp. Short knife but heavy curved to be able to skin and separate meat from bone. I seem to dull it quick on the back bone and ribs digging out the back strap and cutting all the shoulder meat off the scapula. Knife in one hand and lansky in the left and back to work. Might not be the best, but its good and quick and that is what works for me.

Top is pack knife and bottom skinning and boning knife.

22.jpg

Good ole knife steel? Lanske? Stones? or the new motorized angle sharpening systems? Pro's and cons....ease vs, difficulty....

Go!
Like many have said above, I love my Ken Onion Worksharp with the blade grinding attachment. I also have some stones, but rarely use them anymore.

Jason

Oooh. I've been away from here a long time but since last i've gotten a Tormek T-4. Not only am i making my own knives razor sharp (no hair left on my left forearm), i'm also sharpening knives and axes for friends, relatives, neighbours...just for fun. A great steak deserves a sharp knife
That's a spendy little sharpener but looks like a dandy unit. Wish I could figure out how to sharpen my Ion Ice Augar blades on something like that. They have a difficult contour to them.

Last edited:
I have those stones. Just not the holder contraption thingy. Good stones.
The base is supposed to be filled with honing oil and the stones are rotated to get coated. Whichever stone is selected, the rotating assembly locks into place. Mine was accidentally dropped and the base and one stone were cracked, won't hold oil anymore...

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky