Snake and Minion burn time and Temp data?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Deeez

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 14, 2021
Hi All, I hope this post finds you ALL well and having great smokes.
I was wondering if there is any data out there that tells us how long a snake or minion will burn for and at what temperatures for say a, 22" WSM or a 26" kettle?
Just thought it would be interesting to know as I did a cook with a snake and 2briquettes on the bottom and 1 on top between the 4 corners of the bottom ones and it stayed around 200f and I knew I had a lesson coming.

I know it may depend on what types of fuel your using ... I'm not a pro with wood and I cant get lumps here, so maybe for briquettes.
Anyway, just wanted to through that out there and thanks ahead for any input.

Reactions: JLeonard
This is based on a 26" Kettle . I did a test when I first got the 26 . Had never used the snake method before . I set it up with 2 on the bottom 1 on top . R.O. ridge charcoal .
20190901_163156.jpg
After about an hour . Sitting steady at 260 .
20190901_175636.jpg
I was so impressed by the even temp and slow burn , I extended the snake and put a 13 pound packer on . Ran at 260 for 8 hours . Finished in the oven .
Snake had plenty of life left .

These are from other smokes .
Pulled the meat from this burn after 10 hours at 260 . Still going strong .
The beginning was stacked 2/1 about 75% of the snake . At the end I stack coals in more of a pile , to make up for any stall or evap cooling that may be going on .
20190903_152441.jpg

Shorter cook setup . Something I do to start on all cooks . I light the snake and let it settle in .
I made that small chimney so I could light a small stack of coals to add when the meat goes on cold . Separate from the snake . The small stack makes up for the cold mass , and your not using up the snake to over come the temp drop .
That can take an hour or more out of your run time on the snake .
small.jpg

So this is my basic setup now after several long smokes on the 26 .
I always clean my 26 the day after a long smoke . You don't want stuff sitting on the bottom or getting stuck to the bottom . If you leave it dirty , the clean out vanes will not seal to the bottom , and it can make temps hard to control .
I always start clean , and keep it clean .
20210306_111529.jpg
I've started smoking at higher temps , so this is a pretty heavy run of good charcoal . For me this runs around 300 choked down .
8 to 12 hours depending on conditions outside .
20210306_113206.jpg
I then position the grate so the opening is at a point where I can easily add more fuel if needed . I usually keep lump charcoal around for that .
20210306_113305.jpg
That's just how I do it after 7 brisket cooks , and all this is pretty much based on
an 11 to 13 pound packer brisket smoke . My basic use for the 26 is brisket and ribs .

This is based on a 26" Kettle . I did a test when I first got the 26 . Had never used the snake method before . I set it up with 2 on the bottom 1 on top . R.O. ridge charcoal .
View attachment 503896
After about an hour . Sitting steady at 260 .
View attachment 503897
I was so impressed by the even temp and slow burn , I extended the snake and put a 13 pound packer on . Ran at 260 for 8 hours . Finished in the oven .
Snake had plenty of life left .

These are from other smokes .
Pulled the meat from this burn after 10 hours at 260 . Still going strong .
The beginning was stacked 2/1 about 75% of the snake . At the end I stack coals in more of a pile , to make up for any stall or evap cooling that may be going on .
View attachment 503899

Shorter cook setup . Something I do to start on all cooks . I light the snake and let it settle in .
I made that small chimney so I could light a small stack of coals to add when the meat goes on cold . Separate from the snake . The small stack makes up for the cold mass , and your not using up the snake to over come the temp drop .
That can take an hour or more out of your run time on the snake .
View attachment 503905

So this is my basic setup now after several long smokes on the 26 .
I always clean my 26 the day after a long smoke . You don't want stuff sitting on the bottom or getting stuck to the bottom . If you leave it dirty , the clean out vanes will not seal to the bottom , and it can make temps hard to control .
I always start clean , and keep it clean .
View attachment 503901
I've started smoking at higher temps , so this is a pretty heavy run of good charcoal . For me this runs around 300 choked down .
8 to 12 hours depending on conditions outside .
View attachment 503902
I then position the grate so the opening is at a point where I can easily add more fuel if needed . I usually keep lump charcoal around for that .
View attachment 503903
That's just how I do it after 7 brisket cooks , and all this is pretty much based on
an 11 to 13 pound packer brisket smoke . My basic use for the 26 is brisket and ribs .
Great info. You should make a sticky with this info I am sure it would be beneficial to a lot of members.

Reactions: Deeez
The time and temp you get will depend on some things as you know .
2 of the things to keep in mind , clean bowl so the vanes seal , and add a few fully lit coals when the meat goes on .

When I put mine together , I gently flexed the vanes downward . So when I dropped them in , the points touched the sides , and the pivot point was off the bottom a bit . When tightened down , it pulled it all up tight .
I keep 2 plastic scrapers and an 2 " paint brush with my smoking stuff . I scrape and brush it out after every smoke . My 22 doesn't get the same treatment . but I don't try the temp control on that one .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky