Smoking my first brisket this weekend, I've got a couple different pellets to choose from - what would be your pick?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Someguyonaroof

Original poster
Nov 17, 2023
East of PDX
As the title says I'm smoking my first brisket this weekend and I have 3 different buckets of pellets at the moment. Bear Mountain Bourbon barrel pellets, Pit boss apple, and pit boss fall blend (apple and pecan). Curious which one I should use for the brisket.

Reactions: JLeonard and mr mac
I don't smoke on a pellet smoker, but I saw Meathead address this question yesterday. He says its a myth that ya need different variety of wood for different meats.

This vid is set to start with him discussing that

Last edited:
Oak goes well with brisket. Bourbon barrels are made from oak, so maybe the Bear Mountain bourbon barrel (if they are really made from them) would be my choice out of the field.

I'd go with the Bourbon barrel along with a smoke tube filled with pellets and mesquite or hickory wood chips.

Not a fan of fruit wood with brisket so that boils it down to the Bourbon Barrel pellets. So if that's all ya got, go with it. Personally, I use hickory and sometimes blend with mesquite.

Brisket trimmed (It's not stellar I know, but I also now know I really need to invest in some better knives for trimming). Starting weight from the costco package was 13.9lbs end weight on my scale was 10.2lbs. Choice grade brisket. Just after midnight it's on the smoker and since I had to go to lowes for some paint this afternoon I ended up picking up a bag of hickory and hoping it lasts thru the smoke, if not I'll pour in the bourbon pellets. Have two probes - The probe that connects to the traeger and a thermoworks chef alarm in slightly different places.

Attachments

• IMG_20231230_184157908.jpg
    IMG_20231230_184157908.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231230_184223184.jpg
    IMG_20231230_184223184.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231231_000434137.jpg
    IMG_20231231_000434137.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 8
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky