Smoking in the cold weather

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Firemedic76

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 27, 2019
So Super Bowl coming up it’s gonna be 30deg in Michigan on Sunday with still 10” of snow in the ground. Any tricks for smoking in cold weather. I have a mb 4 shelf 2 door propane smoker. Plan is I wanna do wings at 275 for the early pregame app but then put on some ribs around 1pm also for halftime dinner. I usually follow the 275deg in a 2-2-1format and I usually do one rack unwrapped as I like the tug from them better but wife/kids like the super tender fall off the bone ones. Should I do a practice smoke on Friday to see where the temps keep the pit. My guess is it won’t get as hot as normal so I need to preplan for a longer cook time on both the wings and ribs. any other advice ?

Grab a welding blanket, they are about $25 at harbor freight, wrap that around the cook chamber. Helps steady the temps.
Edit: Practice cook equals more food, always a good plan.

Reactions: Firemedic76
Grab a welding blanket, they are about $25 at harbor freight, wrap that around the cook chamber. Helps steady the temps.
Edit: Practice cook equals more food, always a good plan.

yeah they have St. Louis on sale at Meijer, never done em, I usually do baby backs but maybe I’ll grab a rack and cook em Friday to see how it goes.

Reactions: bigfurmn
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky