Smoked pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billysurf

Original poster
Jun 19, 2019
SO, I smoked a Boston butt (8 hours). I've done many of these on my virtual bullet before but this time something smells! When I prepped the meat this morning, no off odor at all. After 5 hours on the smoker, I wrapped it, no smell at all. And another 3 hours later, I pulled on the bone to see if it was done (it was) I started to smelled a strange ammonia smell coming from the cooker. Strong. The pork butt only smells a little bit like ammonia, not as strong. I bough this butt for 10 bucks last night "managers special" expiration date 6/20 (tomorrow). Safe to eat or throw it out?

I've never had that smell from pork butt, which makes me think there's some thing burning that shouldn't.

I'll let some one else chime in, but I'd be wary with that sort of chemical smell. I'd err on the side of caution and toss it.

I heard this mentioned in the past, and it was often from Charcoal or Lump impurities, and sometimes from a build-up of grease in the smoker.

Bear

Interesting....! I did have a small bit about a half hour ago and so far I'm alive....

Partially lit Kingsford smells ammoniac even in my Weber performer 22”. It goes away once it’s well lit and then I can choke it down without smelling it anymore.

Partially lit Kingsford smells ammoniac even in my Weber performer 22”. It goes away once it’s well lit and then I can choke it down without smelling it anymore.
I DID use Kingsford!

Do you think it's okay then Bear?

I can't say for sure, but everything I've read tells us the smell leaves the meat after awhile, and the smell in the smoker dies off once it's cooking Hot.
Some say it comes from Humidity & some say it's comes from a lot of changes from humid to dry, to humid to dry, and on & on.
And like I said above some say it's from stuff mixed in with the Lump that doesn't belong, or impurities in the charcoal.

Bear

Your in the wrong part of the forum. This is woods for smoking not meat safety. You will get more reply’s over there in the safety section

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky