Setting up and seasoning my new OKJ Longhorn Combo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tddeangelo

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
Southeast Pennsylvania
So, I mentioned elsewhere I just got a new OK Joe Longhorn Combo...the one with the offset firebox/smoker alongside a propane grill.

Got good info on seasoning, and I have to even assemble the thing yet, but that's where I got to thinking (dangerous, I know)...

I'm reading a bit here and there on various mods and upgrades/improvements folks have made on their smokers, and particularly on OK Joe products. Reading lots of good ideas, but I'm finding a bit on one thread, a bit on another...etc etc. Is there a sticky/article/post with any of this condensed? I haven't seen it, but I figured I'd ask, because I'm often hitting info overload on these forums...and that's not a bad thing! It's such a good resource, but before I go scrounging a hundred threads to compile a list, I figured I'd see if there existed anywhere a compendium of sorts of these ideas?

I figured I'd work on a lot of the commonly used ones as I assemble the cooker. I can't imagine installing mods gets easier after it's fully assembled than it would be if done during assembly. :)

Thanks!

Don’t know if any sticky’s exist about this but I have an okjoe although it’s nit my primary cooker anymore it’s a good pit. I would recommend keeping it simple at first. Personally, I never did a mod to my pit. I used it and learned how it worked. Like figuring out where it was comfortable running. Hot spots inside the cooking chamber(which I actually used to my advantage). How often I needed to add fuel. How to control my temp spikes (gonna happen) and so on. I think the hardest thing about the assembly is the fire box. I would go ahead and seal around in between firebox and cooking chamber because you probably don’t wanna have to take that back off. Just my 2cents

You're correct about assembly...the firebox part was the most difficult, if you want to use that word. It was just the only part I couldn't do myself. I had to have my wife put two bolts/nuts on for me while I held the firebox in place. Otherwise, it wasn't bad at all to assemble. The instructions weren't the best...references to steps not shown, references to incorrect hardware, etc. I figured it out, and it really was pretty easy to assemble. The writer of that manual though.... sheesh.

Seasoning showed me that sealing the seams and doors likely will help a lot. I'll probably just start there and roll with it for a bit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky