Seasoning Kit Confusion- Cure question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimmyinsd

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I had and old jerky season kit laying around from Hi Mountain and decided to make snack sticks instead of jerky. I have used their stuff enough to know that it will make 15# of whole muscle jerky or 10# of ground meat jerky. if Cure is based on weight of meat, why then would they be able to say that their kit will also make 20# of snack sticks? seems to be a big swing from 10# to 20# when both are using the same amount of cure from the kit. Does the jerky dehydrating process require more cure than the snack stick process? I was going to call Hi Mountain tomorrow but I though I would start here.

Thanks in advance~Jim

Reactions: Will Squared
Jim if I remember correctly, the Hi Mountain Kit that contains the snack sticks comes in a larger box. There’s 2 packets of seasoning, 2 packets of cure and collagen casings included

Maybe they use the same instruction sheet for both kits, only doubling the amount of seasoning and cure in the snack stick kit? My kit was the jerky kit so perhaps that is the difference. Although the instructions say "will cure and season up to 10 pounds for ground meat jerky or 20 pounds for snackin sticks" this to me tends to imply that this kit is sufficient for either application. since I used it to make 10 pounds of snack sticks (assuming that ground meat is ground meat when it comes to the curing process) I likely better get some confirmation from Hi Mountain before eating to many of these sticks. Of course I didnt see the instructions (we've made many batches of ground jerky with them in the past) but my wife happened to glance at them and that popped out to her.

Looking at the Hi Mountain site and zooming in on the Snack Stick Box it claims that it contains 2 packs of cure and 2 packs of seasoning (same size packs as the jerky kit) and it states on the box for 20 pounds of meat, so it looks like XRay nailed it. Poorly written instructions IMO, hopefully nobody out there buys a jerky kit and after reading the instructions decides to make 20# of snack sticks instead. It does say to measure everything out and gives measurements, but if somebody is making a full batch how many people still measure the packets?

What does their directions say for each of the three?
Are there more than one seasoning and or curing packets?
It might be that the amounts you use for each process are different?

its doesnt really separate out the ground jerky from the snack sticks. its kind of mis-leading but is sounds like my batch is OK. I may still reach out to the company to share my confusion and maybe they would like to modify their instruction so nobody makes the mistake on a 20# batch with the jerky kit.

its doesnt really separate out the ground jerky from the snack sticks. its kind of mis-leading but is sounds like my batch is OK. I may still reach out to the company to share my confusion and maybe they would like to modify their instruction so nobody makes the mistake on a 20# batch with the jerky kit.
I’ve used their stuff before, it’s ok. This may be the time to ask sone questions here and formulate your own mix. Then you know for sure what’s in it and how much to use. Just a thought.

The 2 packets each of cure and seasoning that come in the snack stick kit season 20lbs of meat. If you look, one packet of cure and seasoning is the same amount that comes in the jerky kit (1 packet/cure)...so a jerky kit will give you enough for 10lbs of sticks.

I buy the jerky kits when making snack sticks because: 1, it's cheaper and 2. The jerky flavors have more variety than the snack stick kits. This way you're not stuck spending extra money on the snack stick kit and dealing with extra seasonings if you don't care for the flavor.

I usually try to make 10 lbs of snack sticks at a time.

Order your own collagen casings too. God knows how long they sit on the shelf. There's a discount sporting good store in my area that sells some Hi Mountain Products. I could buy the jerky seasoning for about $4-$6.

But yeah you're right too. If you look at the instructions that come with the kits, it's the same piece of paper.

Reactions: jimmyinsd
image.jpg

I had a box of snackn sticks from hi mountain. This is the instructions. I can post the portion for whole muscle too, if needed

I’ve used their stuff before, it’s ok. This may be the time to ask sone questions here and formulate your own mix. Then you know for sure what’s in it and how much to use. Just a thought.
I do a lot of my own (or borrowed) recipes, but I had this kit laying around and wanted to use it up before it got lost. I did recently buy some seasoning from Owens in ND, but those were novelty things that are a little beyond my strike zone for now.

i will say that using the hi mountain garlic pepper blend in 10# of meat 60% goose and 40% pork shoulder, and I added about 3/4-1 cup of NFDM made one of the best snack sticks I have ever had, and I have had a lot of them. I used about 1 row of pellets in my amazn tray that was a 50/50 blend of hickory and cherry. the collagen casings are a tad on the chewy side, but they are getting to be about a year old so that might be the problem... or it might have been something I did.

Thanks for the replies all.

I had a box of snackn sticks from hi mountain. This is the instructions. I can post the portion for whole muscle too, if needed

wierd, maybe they have already made the change to the instructions. this kit has been on the shelf for a couple years. mine definitely says 10 for jerky 20 for snack sticks. I guess I dont have to bother them tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky