Salsa Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redneckviddles

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 2, 2019
image.jpg

Alright, did the first pick of the garden time for salsa. Here is what we picked today. Wife is at the store getting stuff our garden doesn’t have; still need jalapeños, white peaches and onion.

image.jpg

First step, prep tomatoes. One pot of boiling water, sink full of ice water. Boil tomatoes one minute move to the ice water. Peel skin and core, skin should pull right off by hand, if not boil a little longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaverspitbbq
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Dice the tomatoes in large bowl keeping the juice.

Dice sweet onion.

Diced bell peppers.

No picture but also added diced jalapeños.

Last edited:
image.jpg
All the vegetables in the 12qt pot. Slowing bringing to boil and stirring alot or its easy to burn the bottom of the pot.

Reactions: tallbm
image.jpg
After vegetables cook down a bit, then on to the spices. After the spices boil with the rest for 20 minutes or more i add diced white peaches. I add them last and stop boiling otherwise they get mushy and stringy. Next fill your jars with a canning funnel, wipe wear the lids make contact. Fasten down your lids and rings.

Last edited:
image.jpg
image.jpg
I set canning rings in the bottom of my pressure cooker (lost the wire rack thats suppose to go in there), add two inches water, then the jars. Lock down the lid, open vent, let steam come out the vent for 5 minutes, close vent. Then 15 lbs of pressure for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, let pressure go to zero (cooling), open vent to confirm no pressure. I usually let cool for a few hours before taking lid off but if you do be careful jars and water are still boiling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky