Roll Call

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luke hubbard

Original poster
Mar 18, 2017
West Des Moines, Iowa
Hello all, first timer here. My name is Luke and I'm out of West Des Moines, Iowa. I'm new to smoking and just bought a first generation Masterbuilt 30 inch digital. I seasoned it per Masterbuilt's instructions tonight and I have a 8 lb bone in Boston butt brining overnight. I've been doing a ton of research as far as foiling, using the water pan, and whether to soak the chips or not. I've decided that I'm going to skip filling water pan and just line it with foil for cleanup (unless I learn otherwise on here) as well as using dry chips as soaked chips don't buy you much apparently. However, the one thing I have yet to come across is what percentage of time you're supposed to smoke with chips versus just cooking it low and slow. Like do you add chips the last half of the overall smoke, or the first half? Maybe some people have chips in the entire time, or just the last couple hours. I do plan on wrapping it in foil once it gets to 165 internal temp, and then unwrapping it slightly for the last hour as it gets to 195-200 internal temp. I don't like a really heavy smoke flavor, but I do like it to be there.  Any and all help would be appreciated, and I can't wait to really get the hang of this.

Welcome from SC, Luke. It's really good to have you here on this great site. IMO, I would not soak chips. If your smoker will handle them, I would prefer chunks to chips. I usually run smoke in my stick burner for about the first two hours. My smoker likes to run at 250-275* and this shortens some of the cook times, but it's not too fast to get a good tender product.

Good luck and good smoking. :grilling_smilie:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky