Ribs and chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BBQ Bird

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
Tonight's meal was a quick smoke of a half rack of baby backs and chicken thighs, as well as a low temp session with a chucky that's heading for the sous vide.

Set up the MBGF 800 to start out at low temp of 150F, using a mix of Kingsford pro and Kingsford apple briquettes. Also had chunks of our apple tree mixed in the hopper and a couple in the ash bin. On went the ribs and chuck roast:

20220602_140009.jpg

Ribs were rubbed with Memphis Dust and the chuck was rubbed with a cowboy steak blend from a local (Seattle) chef. They sat in the low temp high smoke for about 2 hours.

After two hours at 150F, chuck roast heads to the sous vide and on goes the chicken thighs:

20220602_152422.jpg

Raised the temp to 285 and let them run for about an hour. After an hour, raised the temp to 350F to start to crisp the chicken skin. After 15 min at the high temp, started probing and temping the ribs. After approx 30 min, color on the ribs looked great and were probing around 195:

20220602_162733.jpg

Pulled the ribs, wrapped them in foil while the chicken went a little longer. Pulled the chicken once the color was good and the skin was crisp:

20220602_165142.jpg

Didn't get any pics while slicing up the ribs, but got the plated shot:

20220602_171100.jpg

Simple (cheater) sides were bagged salad mix and cheddar bay biscuits. Chicken was juicy and had great flavor. However, the skin, though crisp, was a little tough. I suspect it spent too long at 285F.

The ribs, though, were perfect. No wrap, no sauce, just rub and smoke. Juicy and tender with perfect bite through. Haven't used apple wood that much, but I'll probably use it a lot more. The fruitiness really came through and was delicious.

Thanks for looking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky