rib rack recommendations?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
Mornin' Y'all.
Since I dove head-first into the WSM world and was frugal and bought the 18.5. I found my first batch of baby backs this weekend was a RCH longer than the grid/lid was. I managed to bend them up enough o fit them in, but i know the outer edges of the WSM burn a little hotter. I know I could cut them in half and do it that way.
Weber has a 4 slot rack I saw at HD which might work if I keep an eye on rack length when I buy ribs.
Ideally a round one would be nice as long as the slots are wide enough for fat baby backs. i don't see me trying to do more than two racks at a time unless we have company. The last baby backs I got from WD were very fat. My little Italian market sometimes has danish cut fatties, though they are not my favorite.
Anyway if you've got one you like, let me know.
PS, I'm a tightwad with inflation and stuff the way it is.
thanks
john

Reactions: JLeonard
I have seen folks roll the rack up and tie with a string, but the racks cook the same if cut shorter,

Reactions: fxsales1959
I would just cut them in half.
OK, so I like the center ribs the best too, but you should be able to get one full rack across the middle then half racks on the side. You want to stay away from the edge because of the higher heat, and I always used a water pan with water in it. If you do decide to use racks, I really don’t think it matters which one you get. WW, & HD have several to choose from.
Al

I would just cut them in half.
OK, so I like the center ribs the best too, but you should be able to get one full rack across the middle then half racks on the side. You want to stay away from the edge because of the higher heat, and I always used a water pan with water in it. If you do decide to use racks, I really don’t think it matters which one you get. WW, & HD have several to choose from.
Al
thank you Al. for this one I used the can in middle to pull the ends in.

Reactions: SmokinAl
thank you Al. for this one I used the can in middle to pull the ends in.
Why not buy a rib hanger? I used try to fit on the top grate. With the hanger you could hang 4 full racks at once but I prefer to hange 4 halves to avoid getting to close to the coals. Hang ‘em and forget it. Set at 250 and leave alone for 4 1/2 hours.
No wrapping. You can rotate but not necessary.

Reactions: fxsales1959
Mornin' Y'all.
Since I dove head-first into the WSM world and was frugal and bought the 18.5. I found my first batch of baby backs this weekend was a RCH longer than the grid/lid was. I managed to bend them up enough o fit them in, but i know the outer edges of the WSM burn a little hotter. I know I could cut them in half and do it that way.
Weber has a 4 slot rack I saw at HD which might work if I keep an eye on rack length when I buy ribs.
Ideally a round one would be nice as long as the slots are wide enough for fat baby backs. i don't see me trying to do more than two racks at a time unless we have company. The last baby backs I got from WD were very fat. My little Italian market sometimes has danish cut fatties, though they are not my favorite.
Anyway if you've got one you like, let me know.
PS, I'm a tightwad with inflation and stuff the way it is.
thanks
john
I agree with hanging them. I had the same problem with my Pitboss 3 series smoker. Hanging the ribs solved it nicely

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230821-184415_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230821-184415_Gallery.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 34
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky