pre-mixed spices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wyfly

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
I make a salami using a modification of an old Mortons tenderquick recipe. It is for 1lb I 50 times the recipe weigh it then devide by 50. This mix will last me for some time. My question is, is it ok to leave the cure stored with the dry spices over time or will it effect the cure?

I've always kept the cure separate from spices so I can accurately measure the correct amount rather than hoping the mixture stays perfectly mixed. The cure will probably outlive both of us

Reactions: indaswamp
I've always kept the cure separate from spices so I can accurately measure the correct amount rather than hoping the mixture stays perfectly mixed. The cure will probably outlive both of us
Thanks Olaf!

Yep, what olaf said. Best to weigh out the cure for the recipe as you need it because in a mix it will not be uniform, especially when only using 1/50th of the mix...

This is really the best bet. Companies, like Morton, have proprietary blending methods. I have some old Morton sugar cure in an air tight container. I wouldn’t be afraid to use it and it’s probably 20 years old.
However, like has been said, mix up everything but the cure. Then add that to meat weight as a 0.25% ratio (for 156ppm) at the time of use. The granules will classify, meaning the separate by weight and settle away from one another in bulk if not blended in such a way as to eliminate this.

Reactions: daveomak
Yep, what olaf said. Best to weigh out the cure for the recipe as you need it because in a mix it will not be uniform, especially when only using 1/50th of the mix...
Thanks for the reply and thanks again for sharing your country sausage recipe. A friend shared some alligator meat from a gator he killed in Florida. I used 1/2 gator, 1/2 pork in your recipe. Damn good.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky