Pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymexican

Original poster
Mar 24, 2015
I am smoking five pork butts for a big group of people they weigh ten pounds a piece. I am trying to figure out how long I should smoke them I know it takes six to eight hours for one even longer depending on its weight

Smoke them until the internal temp is +/- 200 degrees or so....anywhere from 12-16 hours probably depending on the chunk of meat and what temp you run at. I can't give you a time to weight ratio because I've never smoked a butt by time.....always by temp.

Also will depend on size of smoker. I done them in 6 hours and I've had them take 16 hours on same smoker. More you have longer they will take. I do mine at 225 but some are hot smokers. Last week my 9 lb one was on for 8 hours.

What day do you need these finished for? I'd suggest doing them a day before and reheating. Pulled pork butt reheats amazingly.

th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

I am doing this for a church group. My size of smoker is an upright seventies deepfreeze. I can smoke all of the pork butts all at once.

I cooked three 10lbs butts last friday night for a graduation party. Cooked them in a Stumps Clone at 225. Wrapped them when they hit around 165-170. One took 12 hours and the other two around 14-15 hours.

I pulled pork for about an hour. I had my wife pull the bones and the came out pretty easy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky