Pastrami on the Smoker (Que Vue)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Little Elm, TX
Corned Beef Brisket was on sale so I decided to grab one and smoke it up.  Typically I would start with an fresh brisket, but I could not pass up the price.  

Last Night I rinsed the Corned Beef Brisket and placed it in a large tub of ice water.

I changed out the water this morning and let it sit for another 4 hours while I got the pit ready and made up a rub.

I went with the typical Black Pepper and Coriander.  Added in some paprika, garlic,ground mustard,and onion.

I trimmed and coated the brisket with some yellow mustard, let it sit for about 20 minutes before tossing it on the pit.

I am smoking with lump Charcoal, Oak, and Pecan today running the temp at 235 degrees.

I am going to smoke it until it reaches 160 degrees, wrap it and put it into the fridge.  I will then finish it with steam in a couple days. Looking forward to good Pastrami on Rye!

Thanks for Lookin!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Looks great so far! I wish I had some sort of reliable way of steaming.
You can do it in a roasting pan on your stove top, just make sure it is up out of the water and covered.

I use a 18 Quart Roaster Oven. 

Smoke ON!

- Jason

My electric roaster cooker has a rack that the meat sits on with a lid.

I assume this will work for steaming???

Looks great by the way.

Looks great by the way.
That is how I do it.  Never had an issue, just make sure the rack keeps the brisket out of the water.  Steam away!

- Jason

Looks great by the way.

That is how I do it.  Never had an issue, just make sure the rack keeps the brisket out of the water.  Steam away!

- Jason
Yeah, that's the catch. Most racks are only 1/2"-1" high. Mine included. I guess I could put something else in there and lay the rack on top of it...

Last edited:

Yeah, that's the catch. Most racks are only 1/2"-1" high. Mine included. I guess I could put something else in there and lay the rack on top of it...
I know the issue, I used to raise it up with rolled up foil legs.  I then discovered that the rack from my oven roaster was higher and fit in my electric roaster. 

- Jason

Good Evening Everyone!

Sorry it took me so long to get around to posting these pictures....

The Steaming went good, I steamed until the IT hit 205.  Since we were not able to have it for dinner (long story) I threw it in the fridge.  

The next day, I warmed it with steam until the IT was 140 Degrees, then tossed it under the broiler for 4 minutes.

It turned out great!  A bit more pepper than I wanted, but it was super tender!

Kraut, Swiss, Yellow Mustard and Pastrami!

Yum!!!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky