Old post concerning burning only wood (instead of charcoal) in a 560?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
If memory serves, was there not someone who was going to try, or was already trying to cook on 100% wood chunks in his 560?
The idea has stuck in my brain and I can't easily see why it would not work.
Perhaps with a few briquettes tossed in to keep it lit when the fan cycles off periodically.

If memory serves, was there not someone who was going to try, or was already trying to cook on 100% wood chunks in his 560?
The idea has stuck in my brain and I can't easily see why it would not work.
Perhaps with a few briquettes tossed in to keep it lit when the fan cycles off periodically.
Someone here all ready tried use 100% wood with great success. How I remember he upgraded fan

I dug back a few pages and found the OP.
He was burning all pecan and had installed an up rated fan but did not know if he needed one and had not used it yet.
Thread died out after that.
I'm going to smoke a pastrami/packer brisket tomorrow, had it soaking in pastrami brine for 7 days.
Plan on using 80% oak and 20% Kingsford competition briquettes.
Supposed to run at 225 but lord love a duck, I just can't wait that long and am going to run 250/275.
Since it is my first pastrami and I don't want to completely screw the pooch I won't use my normal hot and fast 350.
Trying to decide if I should wrap and add liquid to braise the last half of the cook.
I am informed by my friends of the Jewish persuasion that the braise makes the meat.
Still, I am leaning toward no wrap for darkest bark.

Reactions: Aledavidov
I dug back a few pages and found the OP.
He was burning all pecan and had installed an up rated fan but did not know if he needed one and had not used it yet.
Thread died out after that.
I'm going to smoke a pastrami/packer brisket tomorrow, had it soaking in pastrami brine for 7 days.
Plan on using 80% oak and 20% Kingsford competition briquettes.
Supposed to run at 225 but lord love a duck, I just can't wait that long and am going to run 250/275.
Since it is my first pastrami and I don't want to completely screw the pooch I won't use my normal hot and fast 350.
Trying to decide if I should wrap and add liquid to braise the last half of the cook.
I am informed by my friends of the Jewish persuasion that the braise makes the meat.
Still, I am leaning toward no wrap for darkest bark.
Let us know how it’s work for you

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky