Newbie from the Pacific Northwest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greenfrogjames

Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Hey guys, 

I've been using your threads and comments as guidance for quite some time, but I thought I may as well join the fun! I'm fairly new to the smoking game, but in the time that it piqued my interest until now I have added some fine BBQ to the menu at my restaurant (previously specialized in nothing but Grilled Cheese). 

We smoke in an outdoor kitchen with solid fuels only, generally alder and applewood since I am in the Northwest on a Yoder Smokers vertical smoker that was custom made to twice it's normal dimensions. It is a fine piece of equipment, for sure. 

Recently I picked up a walk in cooler that was used in trade shows. There is no refrigeration, just the box, but it still has 4 inches of insulation and a heavy, sealed door with a window. There is a light inside and a built in thermometer that is solar powered. It didn't have any use to the folks selling it so I picked it up for a cold smoker! 

I welded together a Venturi style smoke generator and made a couple of modifications to the smoking chamber, but in a day I have a pretty sweet setup. I just pulled my first 2 pork bellies out of the fridge and rinsed them off and I am greatly looking forward to smoking them after they dry. 

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and thank all of you helpful folks for the conversations that I have eavesdropped on over the past couple of years! 

Cheers!

James

Hello and welcome James,     I'm with Dave   Pictures !!!!!   We need Pictures 

Gary S

Nice smoker, welcome to our smokin obsession .. Don't worry it only gets worse from here, this is more like a bunch of smokin addicts here.... :biggrin: Enjoy !!

That baby would make a dandy fermenting chamber if it cooled..... Too bad.... Gonna make a great cold smoker..... Dave

Here's my first attempt at bacon, drying in my other walk-in. It's going to hit the smoke today after I stack the three cords of applewood that I had delivered this morning. It's going to be a long day.

Hey James

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.  BTW, nice looking rig

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky