New member about to attempt a build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DeliBob

Original poster
Mar 7, 2019
Hello everyone. Thanks for letting me join. I have been smoking with a Masterbuilt propane vertical smoker for about 4 years and have really enjoyed learning about the smoke. I have decided to test my welding abilities ( limited experience) and build my own smoker. I just picked up 2 air compressor tanks, a 60 (46×22)and 40 (38×18)gallon . My thoughts are to build a reverse flow. Using a calculator I found on line , I came up with these requirements
4" exhaust 35" high
2 4" air intake to firebox
11" halfmoon between firebox and cooking chamber.

This is all new to me and wanted to know if I calculated correctly
Thank you in advance for any help with this
Bob

Welcome to the site Bob, I'm not a builder - but someone who is should chime in at some point.

Chris

Reactions: DeliBob
Welcome to SMF from NW Georgia. You have come to a happy place! Check out the reverse flow build section on this forum. There you will find a tutorial along with a calculator that will help you check your numbers.

Start a thread on your build in the “reverse flow build section” and ask away for good advice from lots of knowledgeable folks. @daveomak along with a host of others is always very helpful with folks starting the build process. Good luck!

Weedeater

Reactions: DeliBob
Good afternoon and welcome from a cloudy and cool day here in East Texas

Be glad to help if you need it

Gary

Hello everyone. Thanks for letting me join. I have been smoking with a Masterbuilt propane vertical smoker for about 4 years and have really enjoyed learning about the smoke. I have decided to test my welding abilities ( limited experience) and build my own smoker. I just picked up 2 air compressor tanks, a 60 (46×22)and 40 (38×18)gallon . My thoughts are to build a reverse flow. Using a calculator I found on line , I came up with these requirements
4" exhaust 35" high
2 4" air intake to firebox
11" halfmoon between firebox and cooking chamber.

This is all new to me and wanted to know if I calculated correctly
Thank you in advance for any help with this
Bob
A 46" x 22" = 17,486 cu in which is about 75 gal. on that size cook chamber
a 4" stack should be 26.5 in long 9670
FB for that size CC you need 5,823 cu in you have 9,670 which is way more than you need.
unless you are OK with you FB being 38" long you might want to reduce it a bit, if not it will be fine
the 5,823 is the Minimum.
Air Intake at FB 2 - 4" will give you 144% of what is the minimum
You might think about 2 sets of vents in the FB one set High and one Low with dampers for each
If it were me ,Top holes should be 3 holes 1.25" Bottom Holes 3 holes 3" ea.

FB to CC opening you need about 70 Sq. In 11" x 17" is 135 sq. in. Again I would go with 6" or 7" x 17"

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky