Need help starting a chili cook off

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

x0xsaywhutx0x

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 28, 2014
Blasdell, NY
Ok, I suck at organizing fundraisers and such so I need some help.

My fire department does only a couple fundraisers a year (thanks to the village clerk that won't let us do anything), but I'd like to try and start a chili cook off.  From what I've tried to find, there are no chili cook offs in the area, so I figured it would be a great idea.  We are not very experienced at doing larger fundraisers like this so I need some ideas on how it should go. 

We would have it at our fireman's field (since it would be free).  Initially I was thinking of keeping the competition between fire departments for now, with a panel of 3 judges deciding the winner.  One of my fellow firefighters says he knows someone in the Buffalo Bills organization that may be able to get some players/coaches to judge, which would be awesome.  If that didn't work we were also going to reach out to the Buffalo Sabres to see if we can get some of them to judge.  It may be a long shot, but never hurts to try.  We would also have the public try the chili as well (maybe $10 to sample the chili) and they can vote for people's choice winner.  I figured we limit the amount of teams to 15 max, with a $50 entry fee (was thinking about $100 but didn't want to make it too much).   Winner would get maybe $400, second $200, and third $100.  Obviously we would try to get a live band, and a bounce house for the kids.  Have a 50/50 raffle, maybe some baskets as well to raffle off.  Beer is obviously a must. 

Any suggestions?  Be brutal.  Let me know what else we should add, get rid off, change, etc.  We haven't discussed any plans yet, these are just some ideas i thought of, but I just like to get some other ideas to bring up to the others.

I competed in a few cook offs but never organized one. Sounds like you have some good ideas...JJ

sausage.gif
 Yell man you are on your way just need to finalize your idea and line up your help. I would not set my prize awards until the day of the event and set them according to the amount of entrees. one of the ways we did our judging was make a gate charge and give every payer three tickets of three different colors and they deposit the tickets at their three favorite choices. Good luck. Again line your help and have plenty of it.

Thanks guys!  I hope it will have a decent turn out.  I was even thinking about doing it on the day of the village wheel barrow race in conjunction with the village (but knowing our village clerk, she will be a huge **** and not let us).  Its an all day thing and always has a big turn out.  In the morning they have the race, then later is the live entertainment.  Though we wouldn't be able to sell beer and make some extra money off that since the event is BYOB, and if we took that away people may be a little upset.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky