Need a good ranch and hot sauce wings recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rolltider08

Original poster
Jul 8, 2017
Huntsville, AL
_Happy Turkey week folks! I'm going to be smoking an 8lbs turkey breast and some chicken wings. What I'm in need of is a good resturaunt style ranch dressing. The ones that are tangy like you get at alot of wing shacks. Unless anyone knows a good store bought brand that is the same. (Not Kraft, Kens, Hidden Valley etc.) While im here I'll take any good Hot wing rubs/sauces as well. As of right now I just stick with Moore's buffalo. Thanks and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

I got a great buffalo sauce I have tuned over the years.
1/2stick melted butter
16oz Frank's red hot sauce.
1tbs Garlic powder
1tbs ground black pepper
1tbs cayenne pepper
Dash of surgar
Dash of woschiter sauce

Like all good recipes tweak or add things to your taste buds.

Give this a go for the ranch dressing. The sour cream and the buttermilk give it the tang.

• 1½ cups sour cream
  • 1 clove garlic
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • approximately ¼ cup buttermilk to thin dressing
Mash Garlic. Top with salt use a fork or mortar and pestle to make paste. Add rest of ingredients. Mix well. Add buttermilk to thin to desired consistency.

For wings check the injected Scarbelly wings in the Poultry section of this thread.

http://smokingmeatforums.com/index....ega-mother-of-all-cooking-links-index.191066/

I'm from Buffalo, NY and have been making wings at home for decades. The simple formula for true Buffalo wing sauce is a combination of butter and Frank's Hot Sauce. 1 to 1 ratio for hot, 2 to 1 for medium or 3 to 1 for mild. Of course you can make it hotter it you like. The secret ingredient is celery salt. You can also add garlic powder, oregano and parsley. I can't give you measurements as I don't use a measuring spoon. Anything other than Frank's just isn't true Buffalo sauce. Those of us from Buffalo are true wing snobs so don't try to fool us with anything else.

I find it ha4d to beat the Hidden Valley ranch mix that comes in an envelope. It tastes nothing like the Hidden Valley ranch premade junk in the bottle.

Sweet Baby Ray's buffalo sauce is my preferred brand now. It's the only wing sauce I've ever found that has good heat and tang, and doesn't thin out when it's heated. It actually thickens when you bake or grill it on wings. I gave up on franks's and pete's because they're more like a wing dressing than sauce.

Give this a go for the ranch dressing. The sour cream and the buttermilk give it the tang.

• 1½ cups sour cream
  • 1 clove garlic
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • approximately ¼ cup buttermilk to thin dressing
Mash Garlic. Top with salt use a fork or mortar and pestle to make paste. Add rest of ingredients. Mix well. Add buttermilk to thin to desired consistency.

For wings check the injected Scarbelly wings in the Poultry section of this thread.

http://smokingmeatforums.com/index....ega-mother-of-all-cooking-links-index.191066/

I'll have to show this to my wife DS, she'll be very excited. We're both dieting, and while fat free ranch is fine for me, GOOD ranch dressing is the one thing she misses the most. She loves Kens from restaurants, but swears it tastes different bottled from the store. She's getting an immersion blender this year, and I bet this recipe is the first thing it gets dunked in! :) Thanks for sharing!

_Happy Turkey week folks! I'm going to be smoking an 8lbs turkey breast and some chicken wings. What I'm in need of is a good resturaunt style ranch dressing. The ones that are tangy like you get at alot of wing shacks. Unless anyone knows a good store bought brand that is the same. (Not Kraft, Kens, Hidden Valley etc.) While im here I'll take any good Hot wing rubs/sauces as well. As of right now I just stick with Moore's buffalo. Thanks and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi there and welcome!

Oh my friend I have your answer for that Ranch Dressing. It is NOT the bottle, but the packet mix of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix:
02596e6785ff9756f618f2ab367fe9b8.500

The instructions basically say to mix it with buttermilk and some other stuff and WOW!!!!
It absolutely DESTROYS the bottled ranches of any brand including Hidden Valley.

I never knew about this until my brother (who worked many years in the restaurant business) made it and I was like WHAT IS THIS!!?!?!??! He said the restaurant secret is just to use the packet and mix their own ranch dressing. I couldn't believe it!

It's cheap to try so feel free to give it a shot. Best of luck! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky