Milano Salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Been gone out of town on a hunting trip. Got home and the Milano has reached 33-34% in 38 days. I had thought the 65mm casing would take longer, so I had to cut into one...
IMG_20201105_090648.jpg

Still a little soft, but traditionally Milano is dried on the softer side. Slight case hardening, but that is to be expected in a homemade drying chamber. I did bump the RH% up to 81.5 when I left to try and slow the drying down a little as it was progressing pretty fast losing 0.7-0.9% weight per day. That seems to have helped slow it down. I will let it go a little longer, then pull them, uncase, and vac seal.

Sounds like your getting close to some tasty treats! With the slight case hardening .......will that go away some once it's vac packed and rests for a while?

Sounds like your getting close to some tasty treats! With the slight case hardening .......will that go away some once it's vac packed and rests for a while?
Yes, once vac sealed the salami moisture will equalize. the center will dry a little more while the water moves to the outer ring and rehydrates it.

I also inverted the salamis. The salamis tend to dry more on the end that is up as that is where the return air vent in the drying chamber is located. This should help the salamis dry more evenly...

Reactions: 73saint
Man, that looks Great, as is. And you are saying, it will get Better? Very cool...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky