Makin Bacon in warmer months ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
To me it appears to be a couple WAG possibilities:
1. A large area was missed on the nitrites which can happen with dry cure-brine and not enough hand agitation of the bag to redistribute the dissolved brine to all surface areas. It can only travel so far horizontally before the nitrite peters out (yeah bad pun intended).
2. It got dried out. I find that hard to believe with only 2 hours in the "Chief" unless back to #1 and lack of complete brine.

Got a lot of better brains than mine watching this thread. Maybe they have better thoughts.

I have a Big Chief. The door leaks worse than my sheet metal POS Brinkmann.
I often placed the racks at an angle by using the close spaced support brackets to encourage smoke travel on the diagonal when doing multiple racks of meat.
Not used in a few years. Considering using it again with a temp controller. Sometimes I need the small cabinet size.

That's what I do when I Cold Smoke Cheese, but I don't cold smoke my Bacon.
Like Below:

Bear
View attachment 394459
Love the idea of the ice bottle. I will have to try this in my Bradley, temp got a little higher than I would have liked last time I was cold smoking. The piece of cheese I threw in out of curiosity got a little soft. The flavor was excellent but I had to eat it as it was just not solid enough to offer to anyone for tasting as it wasn't too pleasing to the eye.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky